Re: Steering Gear 81 CJ5

Then you should be looking to worn out ball joints jamming up the return action by throwing your camber out or the wrong shackles or the wrong springs or maybe a tie rod or drag link end about to fall apart.

Have you ever driven a short wheel base Jeep before?

Your CJ5 is way shorter than my CJ7 and I'll tell you, when I first started driving it I was in for a shock. I really couldn't see how anyone could drive the things on the highway. A 'few' (LOL) new parts and a lot of practice and I am pretty comfortable now.

But even so, I was limited to 60 mph for several hours last week....

I have cross posted this over to RAMJ+W so you can get all your replies in one thread.

Mike

Ghostbuster wrote:

> I also have 4 turns of the wheel. > thanks > > Not that 'I' know. > > > > I noticed you posted this in a couple places, you got good reply on > > RAMJ+W too with parts recommendations way cheaper than AGR. Basically > > check out your local 4x4 shops for units. > > > > I just went out and checked my 86 CJ7 with stock power steering. > > > > I have 4 turns of the steering wheel pin to pin with an 8.5" pinion. > > > > If you have that, you have something else wrong or just aren't used to > > the short wheel base. To say they are 'twitchy' is being real polite. > > > > The wind was so bad coming home from a run last weekend I couldn't go > > over 60 mph. I could not hold the lane any faster and I have a 100% all > > new front end parts. > > > > My CJ7 is normally really stable up to 75 mph or so. > > > > Mike > > > > Ghostbuster wrote: > > > > > > Is there a way for me to identify my current gear by looking at it? Is > > > there numbers or identifiers on it to look for? > > > > > > > Ahh, there you be. I wasn't sure what newsgroup I replied to before. > > > > > > > > As I mentioned, the steering not returning to center can be from the > > > > wrong alignment. Even too long of shackles will do it like on mine > > > > where I have YJ shackles on my CJ7 and the shop that put them on > didn't > > > > bother to install the right spring shims to get my camber back. > > > > > > > > Needless to say i don't use that shop any more, they did a few other > > > > bonehead moves too. > > > > > > > > But then on another group we are having this discussion and the car > > > > steering box is 2 or 3 times too fast for the Jeep I was told. Makes > > > > sense. > > > > > > > > Someone recommended these guys... > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > Or I would be calling around to the local wreckers and see if they had > a > > > > Jeep one... > > > > > > > > Mike > > > > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 > > > > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's > > > > > > > > Ghostbuster wrote: > > > > > > > > > > I cant see this thread? What did we come up with? > > > > > > > > > > > I have a 1981 CJ5 with power steering, no additonal lift and 10.5 > x 31 > > > > > > tires. I have had it for about 6 years. I bought it from a guy > who > > > at > > > > > one > > > > > > some point replaced the steering gear. He told me when I bought > it > > > that > > > > > it > > > > > > has the incorrect steering gear and as a result, the steering is > very > > > > > > touchy. When on the highway, I have to be extremely careful not > to > > > bump > > > > > > the wheel, as I will go flying off the road. > > > > > > So my question is, where can I get a stock steering gear, remember > it > > > has > > > > > > power steering. And what should it cost. > > > > > > > > > > > > Wanna see a picture of my Jeep? > > > > > >
Reply to
Mike Romain