'04 Rubicon

A couple of weeks ago my front axle lock light started blinking, since my Jeep is still under warranty I brought it in to get checked out. They found that the front right tie rod bracket was bent. There is no signs of impact, nothing else is damaged anywhere aroungd the bracket (not even the brakelines). The dealer tells me that the entire axle housing must be replaced, if I want to keep the warranty. However, Jeep is not release this part until April 26, 2007. Has anyone else seen or heard of this defect, I say defect because that is the only logical explanation. I haven't even had time to go searious four wheeling in it yet since I travel so much. Any ideas how this could have happen without fourwheeling or hitting an object that leaves no impact makes, I would appreciate it.

Reply to
kglacy

OK, your description of what is bent doesn't jive with 'the entire axle housing must be replaced'.

A tie rod goes between the two front wheels, it really has little to do with the axle housing.....

You have an 'ear' for lack of a better word on the spindle that the tie rod end goes into. This is also a completely different part than an 'axle housing'.

Something is wrong here....

As far as bending a tie rod goes, well I bought a brand new drag link rod which is identical and in front of the tie rod, went camping the next day and came out of the heavy bush onto an unseen rock that stopped me dead. It also bent my new rod.

It takes a good impact to bend stuff up there....

Mike

Mike Romain

Trying to think of what a "tie rod bracket" is on a solid front axle...are you referring to the steering knuckle? Besides, the tie rod would have nothing to do with your blinking front locker light. Find another dealer. Or don't, and get a brand new axle. Just don't let them replace it with a Dana

  1. >A couple of weeks ago my front axle lock light started blinking, since
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Maybe you mean sway bar bracket? I bent the sway bar bracket on my '03 Rubi for no explicable reason. Yes, I was off road, but there was no impact nor maneuver that would warrant that kind of damage. Still puzzling over that one. It is still bent.

tw

Reply to
twaldron