How can I tighten up the rear hatch?

The rear hatch on my '97 Grand Cherokee rattle like crazy, how can I tighten it up?

Reply to
Chad Went

Press the D button with a square around it . It's located next to the heated rear window button... just kidding. Some of the older XJ Cherokees has noisy hatch trim... the common fix was to replace the fasteners or screw it in place. This was simple because the XJ hatch used to be fibreglass... not sure on a '97 GC though.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Chad Went did pass the time by typing:

Turn down the speaker volume? :)

Look on the left and right sides of the hatch, just above where the lamp cutouts are. There are some rubber bumpers that can be adjusted in/out. Also check every screw, the panel tends to loosen with time.

Reply to
DougW

First you figure out where it is rattling. At the hinges [doubtful], one of the struts [also doubtful], or inside [more likely]. To get into the thing, you'll need a factory service manual [don't waste money on Chilton] and a few torx drivers.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Metal. The handle likes to vibrate, but it could be anything from not latching closed enough, strut rattle, hinge rattle, etc. Reassembly with a tube of contact cement usually shuts most up.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Adjust the latch, adjust the stoppers, or put in some weather stripping.

Reply to
CRWLR

I just cut a piece of foam rubber about 3" thick and 8" long and place it inside lower corners. john

Reply to
johnny

Reply to
Steve G