Recall!

Good grief...

I got a letter from Chrysler today that my Cherokee has been recalled.

They say the computer needs to be reprogrammed because it probably doesn't trigger the check engine light, and they also want to check the catalytic converter to see if it's rattling, if it is they will replace it for free!

This is a 10 year old Jeep with 300,000+ miles on it and a (not Chrysler) factory rebuilt engine and they want to work on it for free!

I think they are right about the computer not picking up a failing cat, the thing rattled quite a bit for a while but eventually calmed down... and there have been no more problems with it for the past 200,000 miles or so.

I've often wondered what happened to the cat to quiet it down, might the stuff have fallen out or did enough stuff build up to glue everything back together?

The Jeep probably really does need a new cat, and it DID rattle, I wonder if giving the thing a smack with a hammer cushioned by a block of wood would get it rattling again.

I'm not trying to get over on Chrysler, the thing DID rattle and I suspect it doesn't work right and hasn't in years.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

In article , Jeffrey DeWitt wrote: #I think they are right about the computer not picking up a failing cat, #the thing rattled quite a bit for a while but eventually calmed down... I had the cat recalled on my '87 YJ in the early 90's. The dealer said the cat was empty when they pulled it off.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I talked to the service manager at Jeep dealer today and he sounded pretty sure that if the cat wasn't actually rattling they wouldn't replace it.

OK, so the cat is bad and the computer doesn't know it so the Jeep still passes inspection. If all they are going to do is reprogram the computer so now it knows the cat is bad and so the Jeep fails inspection why should I let them do it? How is it to my advantage to have them "fix" the computer so my Jeep fails inspection?

Jeff DeWitt

Herb Le> > #I think they are right about the computer not picking up a failing cat,

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Think of all the little ozone families you'll save.. ;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

It prolly quit ratteling because the heat shield finally fell off.

I'm kind fof with you, if it works, don't fix it.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I'm guessing they are anal about the computer reprog because you have a

1996 or new vehicle? They would use the OBD-II to test for emissions instead of the old sensor up the rear pipe.
Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Dave

I put in a new downstream oxygen sensor from oxygensensors.com ($49.90 instead of the $120 at a FLAPS!) and my "Check Engine" light has stayed out for the past few days.

With the light out my Jeep will pass inspection.

Thanks Bill!

Jeff DeWitt

Dave wrote:

Reply to