POLL: Transmissions - Wranglers

Those of you with Wranglers

1) Do you have an Automatic transmission or a Stick?

2) What to you like best?

3) What do you like Least?

4) Would you change it if you could?

5) Problems?

6) Would you buy the same thing again if you had it to do over again?

Thanks! Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I have a 2004 Wrangler X 5 speed stick I6. I like sticks! Wouldn't change a thing. Most fun I've had in a motor vehicle (while in motion):-) Would have bought two if I had the $$ and put one into storage for later.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

5 speed stick

Having it all open with the bikini top.

Fog lights turn off with high beams (yep I know how to fix that problem)

Have it come with a winch-ready front bumper. Have it come with a trailer hitch properly designed in the bumper (means redisign the bumper attachments and the bumper itself).

None for me with my 02 TJ with 72K miles thus far.

Back in 02 yeah, otherwise I might opt for the longer Unlimited.

Reply to
Tomes

"Frank_v7.0" wrote: I have a 2004 Wrangler X 5 speed stick I6. I like sticks! Wouldn't : change a thing. Most fun I've had in a motor vehicle (while in : motion):-) Would have bought two if I had the $$ and put one into : storage for later.

Thanks Frank :) The "not in motion fun" might be a little tough for us older, fluffier folks. LOL

Reply to
KJ.Kate

: > 1) Do you have an Automatic transmission or a Stick? : 5 speed stick : >

: > 2) What to you like best? : Having it all open with the bikini top.

GOD I MISS GOING TOPLESS!!!!

: > 3) What do you like Least? : Fog lights turn off with high beams (yep I know how to fix that problem)

*making a note - Tomes knows stuff*

: > 4) Would you change it if you could? : Have it come with a winch-ready front bumper. : Have it come with a trailer hitch properly designed in the bumper (means : redisign the bumper attachments and the bumper itself).

Good advice.

: >

: > 5) Problems? : None for me with my 02 TJ with 72K miles thus far. : >

: > 6) Would you buy the same thing again if you had it to do over again? : Back in 02 yeah, otherwise I might opt for the longer Unlimited.

Now THAT is a puzzle. Why would you want the longer one?

Reply to
KJ.Kate
7) Would an automatic transmission be so bad if there was a physical reason for having it? For instance, I have a ruptured achillies tendon on my clutch foot that refuses to heal. Personally I prefer a stick too BUT I don't know if I could drive one all the time.

: Thanks! : Kate : :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Assuming the questions are addressing only transmissions.....

91 YJ 4.0L w/manual AX15, NP231 T-Case -- 253,000 miles

The AX15 is a good general purpose transmission when associated with the

4.0L engine. It's rugged enough to handle most off-highway conditions and will last a long time if properly cared for.

The AX-15 uses an internal clutch slave cylinder. Internal slave failure occurs all too often and requires the transmission to be removed to replace it.

Yes -- replace with NV2500 five speed transmission External slave cylinder provision.

Second, third and fifth gear synchros are prone to failure over time. AX-15 bearings are subject to heat stress and/or failure if high loads are often towed or pulled with the vehicle over long distances.

If alternative choices were not available -- Yes.

Scott

Reply to
reconair
**snip** : >

: > 6) Would you buy the same thing again if you had it to do over again? : If alternative choices were not available -- Yes. : : Scott :

Thank you Scott! All good information. I'll tuck it in my hat while shopping.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

" > Those of you with Wranglers

Reply to
Jarod Sprauer

Why do you care what other people think? You already know what you like.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

stick ability to choose the gear I want to run in having to constantly shift the dang thing in heavy traffic not sure left leg gets awful tired if I am in a traffic jam yes

Reply to
jbjeep

Katie girl, there is NOTHING wrong with an auto.

In fact many people prefer them. I am a die hard fan of sticks, unless you drive in the city a lot. However, that's probably because I learned on a stick (old Peugeot column shift, and an old Mercedes). I didn't drive an auto until I was nearly

  1. Autos certainly have their places IMO, and if I got another small car, I would certainly look at an auto for it...after all, that's what I normally drive into Portland and sit in traffic in. lol. We had this discussion in 99 on the RAMJAW Death Valley run. The vote was solidly split between those who preferred autos and those who preferred manuals. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Neither one is markedly better off road IMO. Its how you drive, what you drive, and what you like. If the leg is an issue, get an auto. It will make your life easier. I know my car isn't to bad when my legs are sore, but the jeep is awful. Of course it has a much stiffer clutch too. Look hard at the kind of driving you do and let that help guide your decision. If I lived in a town with traffic (hey, this place only has 500 people) and lights I would be more inclined to own an auto, just for the convenience and ease.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Stick, 89 YJ 2.5

I like shifting if there's enough power to enjoy shifting. My YJ fails in that area.

See Above...

Auto with manual shift override

Clutch replacement aint cheap.

Yes, for the price i paid and the fun it brings.

Reply to
Gordon

I've never purchased or owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission. I don't see the point of having one.

Reply to
ambrin

FWIW...

  • 6-speed stick. Automatics are easier to drive, but my Unlimited has enough power that rowing it around town is a blast.

  • Best thing: being able to idle gently over big obsticles. With the automatic, you have to give it gas to get over something big, and when you do, it lurches and is jerky, and will often slam your head into the roof. With a 6-sp., you smoothly and gently crawl over the big stuff with ease and a LOT more control, esp. if your'e down in 4L.

Runner-up in best thing: reverse is fully synchronized - makes dropping it in gear a snap. Haven't had the top off yet, so I can't comment on that.

  • Worst thing: accellerating gently from a stop in 1st. It takes practice to do it gently and smoothly; there's so much torque that you'll peel out or do a wheelie unless you're careful.

  • Things I'd change: dump that silly clutch starter interlock (already have.) BETTER TIRES! I Installed a set of Michelin LTX's right after I bought it. Night & Day. Snow traction is excellent and the street ride is very carlike, even at 80+ mph on the freeway.

  • Problems: None. Boring, but true. Turn the key and it just goes. Nothing fancy here.

  • Buy the same thing again? Yep. In a heartbeat.

The clutch in my Unl. is really light. Next time you're at the stealership, jump in one that has a manual and shoot around the block a few times. Pedal pressure is about half that of the Mustang GT. It's actually kinda fun to buzz around in. And on the highway, dropping to

5th is great for passing power.

What's the deal, Kate? Thinking of trading it in? If you do, take a serious look at the Unlimited. The ride is PLUSH and the extra room is great. If you pull the back seat, you get as much space to haul stuff as a compact pickup. The Rubi is one hellovan offroader, but I spend

90% of my time on the blacktop, and I just couldn't justify it.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams
1) Do you have an Automatic transmission or a Stick? 5spd.

2) What to you like best? The looks a mud covered Wrangler gets, and the Jeep Wave!

3) What do you like Least? Not a lot of cargo space.

4) Would you change it if you could? I wish I had gotten hard doors

5) Problems? Untill I think '92, 5spds had an internal slave. When it fails the trans must be pulled to replace it. Most just replace the stock plastic unit with a metal raybestos unit when they do the clutch and don't have an issue.

6) Would you buy the same thing again if you had it to do over again? I'm torn between a CJ, a YJ, a TJ, and the dark side.. (a 4x4 yota p/u!)

7) Kate, there is nothing wrong with having an Auto. My 'Stang is an auto! Autos will do just fine on the trail. I would reccomend an aux. trans cooler to be on the safe side.

I think you've seen these, but here are some Wrangler fun shots and 'stang shots.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl
1) stick 2) stick 3)auto 4) Have never owned anything with an auto tranny I leave that to my wife her WJ is an auto. Coasty
Reply to
Coasty

Why would you do that? It makes absolutely no sense.. Fog lights are for fog, high beams are not...

Reply to
Rich

It's not so much what they THINK as what works. But in a roundabout way, you have a point. I tried this morning, I cannot do a clutch for more than a stroke or two until my hind leg heals up So I suppose an auto is where I will have to go.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Thanks Jenn...

Like I said to Earle, the decision is prety much made after testing. I should learn my limitations, but doggone it I don't have to LIKE it. I DO prefer a standard but I guess I am just gonna be a gimp for awhile and damned if I am going to let my husband drive all the time LOL

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Kate

: >>7) Would an automatic transmission be so bad if there was a physical reason : >>for having it? : >>For instance, I have a ruptured achillies tendon on my clutch foot that : >>refuses to heal. : >>Personally I prefer a stick too BUT I don't know if I could drive one all : >>the time. : >>

: >>

Reply to
KJ.Kate