Repair Kit for Defogger

My rear defogger has seen better days and needs fixin'. I was wandering if anybody used those repair kits. Or does somebody know of a inexpensive way to repair those little lines on the glass some work most don't.

Thanks alot G-Man

Reply to
<bullet proof 96 cherokee>

They make a electrically conductive "paint" that you can get at your local auto parts store. It sounds like you have broken some of the lines.

Reply to
Billy Ray

The kits work, but they are ugly and hard to install. Absolutely clean glass is essential. (Heh, if you touch it, it is no longer clean.)

Earle

work most don't.

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have used the kits also. I only recommend that instead of using the supplied template, use 2 pieces of tape the parrallel the same width of the actual traces already on the window. Otherwise it'll be twice as wide, and noticeable to you as you look through the rearview mirror. Add a couple of metal beads or BB's for agitation in the bottle.

Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

bullet proof 96 cherokee proclaimed:

most don't.

I've repaired a couple dings thru the lines on several vehicles including my current one. The kits work if you are very careful to clean the area well with alcohol or other degreaser first, then mask right up to the very edge of the trace. Use a small wheel or similar [art supply] to make sure the masking is down tight so it doesn't allow the mix to go under it. [or just trim carefully later]. You can usually find a local glass shop or dealer to do it for not a lot of money, particularly if it is unbonded near the power connections. I've also used CAIG electronic trace repair just as successfully as the J. C. Whitney kits. I always use a small fiberglass brush to very carefully clean the trace that is left near the repair so it is shiny with no corrosion, then I lay down a bit of electronic conformal coating over the trace...which I wish the !@#$!@$!@$# manufacturers would do so we wouldn't be having this little chat.

Reply to
Lon

Job Security

...which I wish