any recommendations for Windshield repair kit ?

It's just a small star-shaped glass fracture presently. I'd like to keep it from expanding. Any recommendations? (Permatex products don't get rave reviews on Amazon.)

Thanks, Jake

Reply to
jake

I went to the glass shop and the guy fixed my chip for $40. He used a thing that was held to the glass with suction cups, and then put some goop into a thing that looked like a syringe that fit the thing held on by the suction cups, and turned a thumb screw to push the goop into the hole and hold it while it dried. He then removed the suction cup thing and used a razor blade to clean around the edge of the repair. The whole thing took about 30 minutes. I'm not sure this is something that will go very well for people that have to ask what the best product is. I do lots of stuff, and I thought to myself, I wonder what the best product is to use. I paid for the job and got a very good result. I coulda paid less, I suppose, and done it myself, but I'm not sure I coulda done it as good as I got it done.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

When my Highlander got a chip at 3000 miles I went to a windshield shop to have it repaired - they had a coupon for $25 and same time also headed insite of winshield to help pull in the eposy - can see a tiny glint once in a while but better than a windshield

Reply to
ron

As Jeff Strickland and Ron mentioned, glass shops use a process that yields good results. The resin that they use is cured with UV light.

Some insurance companies will wave the deductible for this repair since the repair is less costly than a windshield replacement.

Reply to
Ray O

There's a catch to waving the deductable, Ray. My insurance guy (Auto Club) said there is a scam where glass shops are making claims for chips on cars that have not come in for repairs.

I don't know the details, exactly, but I _think_ the scam goes sorta like this ...

I bring my car in with a chip and the carrier pays the repair. The glass shop keeps my information. After a few months, the glass shop makes a second claim. Then a third, and so on. Multiple cars and multiple claims could provide significant bogus costs paid by the carriers.

Another scenario is a claimant and a glass shop working together to make a claim for a chip that does not exist and splitting the claim payment.

The bottom line is that fixing a chip is so cheap that the insurance companies might not cover it anymore thanks to unscrupulous shops making bogus claims.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I hadn't heard of that scam. I guess the solution is to stick to a reputable glass or body shop.

Reply to
Ray O

The insurance comapny solves the scam by not waiving the deductable for a chip. I suppose the waiving is decided by the company. I just paid the tab for the chip repair and moved on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Permatex kits I've seen were only for bull's eye cracks, but a long time ago, a friend of mine had good luck with a kit claimed to fix star fractures. Instead of UV-cure resin, it used 2-part epoxy (resin and hardener not 1:1 ratio) and required the syringe plunger be manipulated in very specific ways (push down and pull up quickly, push down and hold for several minutes, pull up and hold, etc.) over a period of an hour, to work the resin all the way in and eliminate air bubbles.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly