replace bearing in front hub assy?

Remember that the rotors will have to match the hubs! And watch the caliper bolts too! later, dave

Reply to
dave

L.W.(ßill)

I think the Beetles still used them for the rear wheel bearings. It has been sooooo long since I had to change some. :-) And I have not worked on any 2002 Beetles. :-( later, dave

Reply to
Dave

That's ok, they're not "Real Beetles", anyway. (Holy $hi7!! Did *I* say that?!?)

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:19:55 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

It's a sad time of life when negative attention is better than no attention, isn't it, Bill? You have my pity.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:22:15 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

I'll do that right after I pull a few of those rickety old CJ2/3/Willys rigs out of some mud pits. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

twould appear so !

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > I'm with Bill on this one - every car I've had has had taper rollers. I : > never had a problem with taper rollers either. : >

: > Dave Milne, Scotland : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

no, "real" bugs were cheap and rolled over at the first corner they came to but new bugs are expensive and handle well and are .... gasp .... fashion statements. Give me a farty old bug.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > That's ok, they're not "Real Beetles", anyway. : > (Holy $hi7!! Did *I* say that?!?) : >

: > -- : > Jim : > -- : > 98 TJ SE : > 90 SJ GW : >

Dave Milne

A "real Bug" would make your TJ seem like the luxury car that it is. I loved my Bug but I could never get my wife to ride in it, and the heat didn't work going downhill. That's because the heat worked off of the exhaust manifold, and with the throttle slammed shut the exhaust manifold isn't hot at all. Imagine a day of skiing, followed by a fifty mile (wet, cold) drive downhill to Seattle. Brr!! Don't get me started on the defroster or the vapor lock refusal to start in the middle of nowhere. The "fix" for the second condition was to fasten aluminium foil to the metal fuel lines inside the engine compartment.

A guy used to bring his Karmann Ghia to our garage in the middle of winter complaining of excessive fuel consumption. One look under the front fenders revealed so much ice buildup that the front tires were rubbing. A night in the heated garage would restore normal fuel consumption, until the next time.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 10/15/03 17:43, Earle Horton uttered for posterity:

Even as early as 60-61 the bug had an optional gasoline heater. School chum lived up on Big Mountain Ski run in Montana and managed to keep all of his body parts intact whilst driving a bug to school every day in Montana winters with said heater.

The !@#@#$ Porsche 914 was even more fun than the Karmann, the ice would build up on the fronts enough that you couldn't turn the @!!@&&$$ wheels more than a degree or so. Plus the manual transmission linkage in the rear would accumulate ice enough that you couldn't shift the !!@#$!@$ thing. Added a second fan to the exhaust heaters and converted them to a high output stainless steel version and still managed to chill body parts in Nebraska/Iowa winters.

Odd, as a 65 Corvair never was cold in the winter and it also used exhaust for the heater.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

OOPS I was still talking about the ORIGINAL Air Cooled Beetle that they stopped importing into the USA and then stopped making this year. I guess I should have made that a little clearer. :-) All of my Jeeps had more luxury than any of my air cooled Beetles did. lol The Jeeps had HEAT even with bad floors, more power to tow and a very large cargo area.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

For the vapor lock, an old timer once told me that all you had to do was pour a cup of water over the fuel pump. If you couldn't find any water, just piss on it. Both solutions worked on my 64.

Best $200 car I ever owned - my big mistake was letting the kids drive it when they got old enough to get a license.

Reply to
Will Honea