Front hub bearing assy remove/install question

Ok the short of it... how does one go about removing the front hubs? I have a noisy bearing on the drivers side (eliminated the ujoint), I was interested to know of any tricks, do's and don;ts .

Thanks

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

what kind of vehicle and year? Helps to have a chiltons manual too...

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

I suppose I should know what you drive, but I don't. Sorry.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I use a cold chisel - a paint scraper would just wad up on no time if used on a hub from the salt belt. If you can make them out with all the rust obfuscating things, there are three places around the edge, about midway between the ears that the bolts go through, where there's a bit of a gap for the chisel, just about where the holes in the backing plate are. I alternate around these three spots, pounding until my arm gets sore, and just about when I'm ready to give up and accept that the hub is never going to separate from the knuckle, it begins to move a little bit.

I suggest using anti-sieze when you put the new ones in.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

You may be thinking of a pudding knife, this is pretty strong and holds a sharper edge than a chisel:

Remember we're working with castiron that's brittle like lower A-frame of a Libby. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Peter Pontbriand wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Sorry bout that, forgot some info... 93 XJ

Snow

Reply to
Snow

You cannot service the bearings, it is a sealed hub. Canadian Tire sells them, but they are pricey.

They don't normally make noise though. Are you sure it isn't something else?

I use a sacrificial bolt I have around and put it almost all the way in, cut the wheels to the side for room, then hit it Hard with a large hammer. 5 lb or 10 lb. I then cut the wheel the other way and move the bolt to the other side and hit again. It 'can' be a real SOB of a job.

I would recommend you start soaking the hub flange with penetrating oil every day for a week or so if you have that time before starting and to use antisieze when putting the new one in.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Jeep has/had tools to service the sealed hubs. I have even seen individual bearings and seals for sale somewhere. But remember that part of the bearing rides on the race that is part of the hub IIRC. I have the service kit and have disassembled one but have never put it back together......yet. This one was a little loose, probably from removal, but it looks good and with some new seals could be saved.

will sell you some complete hub/wheel bearingassemblies at a decent price for your Jeep. Some people loosen the hub assembly bolts, remove the caliper bolts and pry against a STEEL wheel and the part of the steering knuckle where the tie rod attaches. It is supposed to easily pop the hub out of the steering knuckle but I have not had to try this trick yet.

Reply to
One out of many daves

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Are needle bearings also considered ball bearings? lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III