Reset '02 Liberty Check Engine Light

The Check Engine light popped on last night in my '02 Liberty. Upon checking, the gas cap was loose, which apparently can cause this to happen (why?). Anyway, how does one go about resetting the durn light so that I know whether that was the real problem or not? Disconnect the battery for a while?

Thanks, K.

Reply to
Ken S.

The computer expects a certain amount of pressure in the fuel system for emission reason I believe. Not sure how to reset the light, sorry. You might call the dealer.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

I can reset my XJ by disconnecting the battery, or after I start my Jeep enough times with no problems the light automatically turns off. Keeping in mind mine is an XJ.

Curt

Reply to
curt

Go to Autozone or somewhere else that does free scans, have them scan it, tell you the code, then clear it.

Reply to
someone

That's a good idea. I've got a 2000 Cherokee Freedom with 47250 and the light just came on today. I don't have any overhead reset button or anything like that, so I may try the battery disconnect trick first. If that doesn't work, I'll "Get in the Zone" before I get into the warranty zone.

I was just driv>Go to Autozone or somewhere else that does free scans, have them scan it,

Reply to
Chuck Rowe