Check engine light

hi My check engine light came on. It was the gas cap not turned all the way. What is the best way to get rid of the check engine light. I have a 2000 camry. Tried to disconnect battery to reset the computer and unscrewed the positive screw but could never get it to light up from the battery terminal. Could someone please let me know. thanks

Reply to
david

It will reset after X amount of engine start cycles. When that happened to me last Summer it took about 3 days. Annoying, but not really a problem.

Gary

Reply to
Garys2

Normally, it should reset itself after a couple of rides where the computer will ascertain that the fault is really fixed. Otherwise you need an OBDII reader to erase it if you want it out sooner. That being said, if the fault did not really disappear, i.e., you think it is the gas cap but it is in fact something else, the light will stay on. I have a 2000 Camry with a check engine light which turned on after I refuelled. I suspected the gas cap but, in fact, it was my VSV (vacuum switching valve) for EVAP which required replacement. The light extinguished shortly after its replacement. Hope that answers your question. JG

Reply to
Jean-Guy Paradis

At least on a 95 - removing the EFI fuse for 30 seconds with the ignition switch to off will clear the trouble code. Alternatively, you can remove the battery (for 30 seconds with ignition off?).

To ascertain that it was really the gas cap you would need to first read the code. Are you sure thats the problem?

Autozone will read your code for free. The camry chilton repair manual at your local book store will explain the procedure for your specific year.

Reply to
kiselink