"REVISED"-----1987 Wagoneer Limited 4x4 Fuel Injected Inline Six Cylinder

First and foremost, I would like to Thank everyone who took the time to help me troubleshoot and guide me in the right direction in fixing my Wagoneer. This group is a good thing and its members are good people. I very much appreciated your input, THANK YOU!!!

After replacing the fuel filter the engine would not stay running. It would start ok, but die after thirty or so seconds. We could here the fuel pump engage when we turned the key, so we took it as the pump being good. The pressure indicated something was wrong down there so we took the pump out. The line inside the tank was degraded, probably just for so many years in the tank. We replaced the fuel pump, strainer and line. The wagoneer started right up and runs like new.

Two problems though, First the new fuel pump is loud. You can here it inside and outside of the vehicle. The pump is Carter part # P74155. We are thinking they gave us the M.P.I. pump instead of the T.B.I. pump. But would the M.P.I. pump be able to fit if it was the wrong pump?

Second, when the new pump was put in, we must have screwed up something because the tank reads empty and its full and the low fuel fuel light is on all the time now. Yes I know we should of been more careful----how to fix it is my question.

Reply to
Johnny641

I only know that some of the fuel pumps, like our 88's runs on a ballast resistor located near the rad on the drivers side fender. This is to cut the noise down.

Maybe yours needs or doesn't need it?

The fact that the wiring isn't working properly would be a concern to me. I don't 'think' the pump can run if the wires in the plug are wrong, but if it is stealing 12 volts from the other circuit??....

I have just seen 2 DC mini vans with screwed pump wiring. One was a Voyager and the other was a Caravan and the pumps that came for them 'were' wired wrong. I had to show both owners how to flip the wiring around and one even had to have the ground modified.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III