Dropping Bestop Sunrider top vs. factory soft top?

Hi gang,

I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler with 3 tops. I bought it with the factory soft top. Then I bought the Fleet Air Targa Top (front roof panel is removable) which is a good top, and nice and quiet for the Winter, but turned out to be too much of a hassle for open air riding in nice weather.

Then last Summer I bought the Bestop Sunrider because I figured it would be a good compromise between the other two tops. I love the top. It is so much more convenient than the factory soft top which has to go all the way up every time it rains (I park outside and like my interior ;) ).

OK, so here is the issue...it is time to swap the hard top for one of the soft tops. The whole of last Summer I never dropped the Sunrider all the way down. I just flipped the sun roof back and forth. So I never got a sense of how easy or hard it is to drop the Sunrider all the way. But I miss putting the top all the way down, and expect to want to do so this Summer.

I have read in this newsgroup that the Sunrider is as easy to drop all the way down as the factory soft top. But based on my memory of the mechanism for the Sunrider I find that hard to believe. It sounds like you have to remove the rear window as well as the side windows, and I find it hard to believe that the bows and top material fold back as nicely as the factory top.

So any opinions? Can anyone with a Sunrider give me an idea of how easy it is to drop? Vs. the factory soft top? Which top should I put back on?

Any info will be greatly appreciated! I want to try to do the swap this weekend. Weather on Long Island is perfect for top down now. :)

-- Chris G.

Reply to
CG

David C. Moller

I don't know about the Sunrider, but I don know that you have to take the windows out of the factory top if you want to put it down. I guess you could just roll up the back window, but it's just as easy to take it out. My son takes the canvas all the way off of his and just folds down the frame. Doesn't take a whole lot longer to put back up, and sure looks neater when it's down. If it ever quits raining here, I may try that.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

if the sunrider windows are anything like the factory soft tops....I'd pull them before dropping the top. I once tried as nice as possible to roll up my rear window and it got kinked and creased and was a pain to clear that....so keep'em flat if possible. I've never seen anyone roll their top with their windows....try it and then you can give us the horror story of your ruined windows! ;)

Take the time and pull the windows....the top it self goes up pretty quick....so know the weather before you walk away from your jeep for extended periods of time....you don't have to carry your windows to zip'em back in....most rain comes straight down so you just need your top up!

Reply to
SB

I have a Bestop Sunrider - I have never had the factory soft-top so I can't compare, but the Sunrider is really easy to put down. I roll the back window, remove the side windows, and it drops in like 5 seconds.

Deac>

Reply to
Deacon

I do this all the time with my Bestop Supertop. Just unzip the side windows and fold them across the top, leave the rear window zipped right in (or roll it up if you want), then fold the top in halves until small enough to fit behind the seat, then fold the frame back and secure with the elastic straps. Side windows are sandwiched in the top and are protected. The rear window hasn't seemed to get scratched up much yet either, though if you do take the time to roll it it would be less likely to.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Fred,

Are you saying that you take the soft top off of the frame and fold it up and store it behind the seats? Or, do you leave the soft top material on the frame and fold it back?

-- Chris G.

Reply to
Chris Geiss

Deacon,

Thanks for the reply!

How do you keep the rear window rolled up? The factory top has elastic straps with snaps that make it easy to roll up the rear window.

So just to be clear, all you do is remove the side windows (which I figured), roll up the rear window, and you leave the fabric connected to the frame? Then you just drop back the fabric and frame?

If it is that easy, I will keep the Sunrider on this Summer.

-- Chris G.

Reply to
Chris Geiss

Where I live the rain is as likely to come down at an angle as to come down straight. Which means put the windows in, or come back to a flooded Jeep. ;)

With my factory soft top, I always rolled up the rear window. Yeah, after a couple years it gets a little scratched, but so what, it was never like looking through glass in the first place!

-- Chris G.

Reply to
Chris Geiss

Without a doubt the side windows have to come out. As for the rear window, roll that bad boy up. The less hassle the better!

-- Chris G.

Reply to
Chris Geiss

Just try a Sunrider sometime and you'll get it! ;)

It's all about convenience. The more convenient it is, the more I'll ride around with the top down.

Ever have to put the factory top up while it is pouring? Your interior is getting wet! With the Sunrider, when the weather looks iffy, you only flip back the "sun roof", and when the rain comes you can have a sealed top again in literally 10 seconds. I have never tried it, but you could probably even close it while driving (to get the full seal you'ld have to stop and open the doors to seal the side flaps, but you'ld keep the rain out until you had a chance to do that.)

-- Chris G.

Reply to
Chris Geiss

The former.