Rock Gear CJ5 Tops- experiences

I need a new top for my 72 CJ5 before winter hits- I have had Bestop and been very hapy with it. I recently found the Rock Gear sight on the web, and their fastback top looks interesting. Does anyone have one of the Rock Gear tops? and if so can you post commenting how it compares to the Bestop's- fit, ease of instalation, durability, etc. Thanks

Ben

Reply to
Ben Reuter

Thanks for that link... That's just what I've been looking for. I've actually considered inventing my own top that uses the roll cage as the support, and having a local shop do the work, but this is exactly what I had in mind! Now I just need to save up a few more hundred bucks. I wonder why no one has thought of that before?

I'm interested to get some feedback from some owners also.

Reply to
Irish Golf Lad

I purchased one for my TJ last fall (after the roll), I have been very pleasantly suprised. Granted I purchased it after much discussion, with Bob at Rockgear, knowing that we might have problems since I have a custom roll cage. Their support both before and after purchase has been very good. When my rear window didnt fit due to the custom cage, they made me another one at no charge to the dimensions I specified. All my questions get answered with in a day or so - either by e-mail or by phone. My top seems well made. Good heavy material. I did have one issue with the upper door halves, but that was quickly corrected by them. There are some spots where there are gaps in the fabric...suprisingly enough I dont get much, if any, water in them when it rains. This is at the back of the doors just above the edge of the tub. I dont run it all year, so I cant answer how it will hold up in snow. I usually put my hard top on for the coldest 4 months of the year. I really love the fact that there is no hardware to rattle. Also that I can never be caught with out windows and doors (unless I leave them at home deliberately) on a trip again!!! For most of this summer I have run with the lower 1/2 doors and the bikini top setup. Loving it! When the fall rains start in earnest, I will put the windows down and the upper 1/2 doors on. When it gets cold, I will go swap for my hard top. In the bikini mode I do have some flap at freeway speed. Also, if you have the windows down but the rear hatch up, you will get some flap. Installation of the top was quite easy (once I found my drill) on the TJ. Durability is still in question since its only been on a year. Not having owned a besttop I cant compare the two, but I am sure its not as quiet as the sail cloth tops. However, it takes minimal hardware and that was what I was after. =)

Oh, and one of the folks on the TJ list runs this top on her TJ year round in NYC. She says its been great and no issues with snow and rain - as long as she brushes the snow off the top of all the convertables once a day.

Hope this helps you out some.

-jenn

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:57:05 GMT, "Ben Reuter" wrote:

Reply to
jbjeep