Re: Question about Jeep Comanche

Say what???

Mike

Bev wrote:

> Does anyone know the location of the module that gives the signal to > the primary winding to collapse? > > I have a 1989 Jeep Comanche 4 cylinder with standard transmission. > > Thanks, > > Bev Corrigan
Reply to
Mike Romain

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

This is all Greek to me. What does this relate to (part of the vehicle that is)?

Brand Howard

Brand Howard

In case you get derailed to the password section, try:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:>

http://195.152.80.246/Jeep/88XJ/ignition%20system%202.5l%20with%20renix%20electronic%20ignition.pdf

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The ignition control module on my 88 is located below the relay panel just behind the battery and should be the same on yours. Follow the center lead from the distributor back to the coil - the ICM is located in the same place.

Reply to
Will Honea

Hello Bill and Will,

Thanks so much for your information; my father found it very useful. Since the magnetic module on most vehicles is in the distributer, he couldn't figure out where it could be located on the jeep. So far he has replaced the camshaft and a cracked head in his attempt to bring my jeep back to life--hopefully that will be soon.

Bev

Reply to
Bev

The magnetic pickup is still in the distributor but it's used a bit differently - just supplies #1 cylinder location to determine camshaft/crank position reference. The Crank position is taken from the flywheel sensor.

You sound just like my daughter - "Dad, it's broke - can you fix it"? The unspoken end of the sentence is usually "NOW"!

Reply to
Will Honea

Hello Will,

Thanks for clarifying--I relayed this information to my father just as he was about to crawl under the Jeep this morning.

Oh dear, now you've activated my guilt: I don't even ask "Can you fix it?" I just take if for granted that he can and will. For the past year, the Jeep has needed a lot of repair work. Fortunately, my father enjoys solving mechanical problems, and if it wasn't the Jeep, he'd be fixing another vehicle. However, I really appreciate that he's willing to spend so much time working on my vehicle. The only thanks he'll accept are occasional bottles of rum.

Bev

Reply to
Bev

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You probably missed my tale of the daughter taking an old Nissan beater in to have the front end aligned and being told that it needed $1000 worth of repairs (about what the thing was worth) before they could align it. To make a long story short, it needed about $150 worth of front end parts so we got all of those and spent a Saturday rebuilding the whole front end. I wish I had film for the camera - there she sat: waist length blond hair stuffed into a knit cap, 4 pound hammer and a pickle fork in hand, happily pounding away at a ball joint. At the end of the day, it was all done and working nicely. She was going out that evening but after she showered and dressed her mother spotted a streak of grease on one arm and a spot on her forehead - battle scars to show off to her friends!

Crawl under and learn. You may never do it yourself again, but you'll learn to spot a ripoff in an instant.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Your daughter has spunk--I wish now that I had hung around when my father was teaching my brothers how to fix vehicles; I could be doing a lot of my own repairs. Now I watch and help him when I can and have learned quite a bit. I don't think I could spot a ripoff yet; but when I didn't live near my father, he would give me a list of questions to ask the mechanic when I had a problem with the Jeep (which wasn't very often).

Bev

Reply to
Bev