Seeking Wrangler Advice

geeze, i'm sorry i don't measure up to your standards. guess i'm in for a few sleepless nights. the original poster indicated that the TJ would be a second vehicle with some casual off-roading (my exact situation). i guess he doesn't measure up either, eh?

rich (who loves his TJ both on and off the road, keeps it clean and ding free)

Reply to
Rich

You said 'what price range are you shopping in?'

My goal on price is to get a quality TJ at a reasonable price. So it kind of depends on the year, miles and condition. I just want to get a lot of Wrangler for my money (talk about a wishy-washy answer to a simple question).

Reply to
Smegma Breath

I bought a 97 TJ this past spring. It had a 5 speed and 6 cylinder. If I had it to do over, I would have checked the following things and passed on the jeep that I bought.

  1. gear ratio
  2. rear differential

The gear ratio was 3.07. WTF? What is that good for? The rear diff was a Dana 35. POS! It since grenaded and was replaced with a Dana 44 with 3.73 gears. The front Dana 30 will be regeared soon with

3.73 as soon as I find $400 on the sidewalk or someone takes pity on me. :)

So what am I saying, oh yeah, 5 speed, 6 cylinder, Dana 44, at least 3.73 gears, the top depends on where you live. In Texas, the soft top is great. I would say get a 98 or later because of the passenger airbag cutoff switch. I can't turn mine off so my daughter has to ride in the back.

I found mine on autotrader online at a local new car dealershit.

Reply to
Dennis Cox

In addition to the things already mentioned, here are lots of other "little" things that I've noticed since the introduction of the TJ in '97:

- '03 has a single windshield washer "squirter" (with dual streams). It doesn't work as well at higher speeds because of this.

- Don't know when they changed it, but the '03 has the headlight switch mounted on the turn-signal stalk rather than on the dash. I thought that this was introduced in '03...

- The Sahara model (and other models with factory fog lamps) also have the fog lamp switch mounted on the turn-signal stalk rather than on the dash starting in '03. This made room for the Rubicon's locker switches.

- The cowl vent was shrunk down in either '02 or '03 (I think). This was presumably done to help minimize interior water leaks during extremely heavy rain storms.

- '03 Sahara models have rear seat cupholders. Not sure when they added this feature...

- The outside mirror arms were changed from painted metal to plastic in either '02 or '03. The mirrors on my '03 seem to vibrate more than those on my brother's '97 because of this.

- According to the owner's video, the '03 has two locator pins in the hardtop which make it easier to line up to the tub when reinstalling. I could've sworn that these were always there so they may have been added prior to '03...

- The front license plate "mount" was moved to the center at some point. My brother's '03 has the plate mounted towards the driver's side of the front bumper.

- Someone else can probably confirm this, but the skid plate on the '03 seems to look different from earlier models. This may have been done to accomodate the 4 speed automatic introduced in '03.

Anything else?

-John

Reply to
John Sevey

so do these guys.

i can appreciate taking pride in how it looks. im sure tim is VERY proud of the way his jeep looks
much inthe same way that i am....but running boards to prevent a parking lot dingis a new one even on me. course, its your jeep and im just "funnin'"around.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

lighten up, she didnt sound malicious. if youre going to minimize the jeep image amongst jeepers, expect a little ribbing.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

i understand just what you mean. i found many low mileage '01-'02 sports/saharas in the $11k-$12k range on autotrader. whats your zip code?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Now I know why abortion is legal.

Reply to
Bass Jeep

Approximately 10/7/03 15:04, Bass Jeep uttered for posterity:

And sometimes retroactively so.

Actually that white one at the bottom that kinda looks like an old Ford has possibilities, with stock or better ride height. The rims seem dished enough the rocks shouldn't be able to get them. The rest, well..... now I see where the DC designers have been getting their drugs.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

: > - new rear seat folding mechanism : : > (perhaps others, these is just what I figured out so far) : : In addition to the things already mentioned, here are lots of other "little" : things that I've noticed since the introduction of the TJ in '97: : : - '03 has a single windshield washer "squirter" (with dual streams). : It doesn't work as well at higher speeds because of this. I squirt at lower speeds even with my dual squirters just because it works way better.

: - Don't know when they changed it, but the '03 has the headlight switch : mounted on the turn-signal stalk rather than on the dash. I thought that : this was introduced in '03... My '02 has this

: - The Sahara model (and other models with factory fog lamps) also have the : fog lamp switch mounted on the turn-signal stalk rather than on the dash : starting in '03. This made room for the Rubicon's locker switches. My '02 has this

: - The cowl vent was shrunk down in either '02 or '03 (I think). This was : presumably done to help minimize interior water leaks during extremely : heavy rain storms. : - '03 Sahara models have rear seat cupholders. Not sure when they added this : feature... I wish I had this I suppose, but I have the center console that has 2 rear cupholders. This suffices for the kids back there for me.

: - The outside mirror arms were changed from painted metal to plastic in either : '02 or '03. The mirrors on my '03 seem to vibrate more than those on my : brother's '97 because of this. My '02 has plastic around the mirror and the arms are metal. They do not vibrate for me at all that I notice on the road.

: - According to the owner's video, the '03 has two locator pins in the hardtop : which make it easier to line up to the tub when reinstalling. I could've : sworn that these were always there so they may have been added prior to '03... I have these pins and boy do they help.

: - The front license plate "mount" was moved to the center at some point. My : brother's '03 has the plate mounted towards the driver's side of the front : bumper. My '02 has the licence plate in the middle.

: - Someone else can probably confirm this, but the skid plate on the '03 : seems to look different from earlier models. This may have been done to : accomodate the 4 speed automatic introduced in '03. : : Anything else? : : -John '02 Perspective Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

My zip is 16740. I like the sound of 'i found many low mileage '01-'02 sports/saharas in the $11k-$12k range!' I am all ears!

Reply to
Smegma Breath

So I take it you aren't planning on using 4x4 anytime soon?

Reply to
Tony

?car_id=144300584
?car_id=144045946
?car_id=128271707
?car_id=144258509
is a good start. the first link is an '01 sport for under $12k. theyre out there, ya just gotta look around.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Thanks for the help. I am checking them out right now.

Reply to
Smegma Breath

no problem. there were a lot more, i just pasted what came up first.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
Will Honea