Shock Mount - lil help

My right front shock mount broke off my jeep the other day. Only one bolt hole is damaged. The other two are fine. I called the dealer for this part and they want 66.00 for it and the local parts stores can not get it. Does anyone know where I can find this part at a more reasonable price? I'm in Southern California (Orange County). Part stores, junk yards, anywhere you can suggest.

Or,

Is this driveable with two holes bolted until I can find another one?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

What vehicle?

Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Cherokee, Wagoneer, CJ, J4000, Willys, Jeepster........

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

I notice in an older post, you refer to an 83 CJ-7. You can probably find someone that has done this

and maybe they can sendyou their old stock one. Or buy one of the F250 towers ($12 at your ford dealer) and cut it to stock length.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What kind of Jeep is it?

On my 1997 TJ, I've driven without one of my rear shocks installed for a little over a week while I was waiting for new shocks to arrive. I had severely damaged that shock on the trail, and simply removed and drove without it. The shock does nothing to actually support my TJ; that is done by the springs and control arms. It was a bit more bouncy than normal, but perfectly driveable. I'd be a little more concerned about handling if going without a shock in the front, but I would do so if necessary in the interim until I could get a new shock mount in your case. I wouldn't drive with the shock only partially attached, though; that will just cause more stress on those mounting points, possibly in abnormal twisting directions, and damage them as well. In your shoes (if you have a TJ like mine), I'd simply remove that shock until I fixed the problem with the mount. If you have another jeep, I don't have experience nor the vast knowledge others on this board possess about all models jeep, so I can't make any suggestions in those cases.

Reply to
Bob

Sorry guys and thanks for the help. It's an 83 CJ7 and it's a trangular piece of metal with a bolt coming off of it. It has three bolt hole which bolt to the frame. One of these bolt holes have broken due to (I think) the rest of them coming loose and putting stress on that last one breaking it open/off. So, I have two good bolt holes.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

here are a couple of pics. Aren't digital cameras great?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Senario A ( I am in a hurry and need this done fast ) Option 1 Pay the dealer $66 and be glad it is not $166 Option 2 Weld it up, may not look 100%, but it is cheap and done tonight

Senario B ( why hurry, it is cold and dark, it can wait ) Option 1 I bet you can find a cheap one from a scrap yard / service station / local jeep club member

Reply to
fletcher

I'm going to do the F250 towers. I'd gladly send you my stock one for the cost of shipping, but unfortunately I won't have the old ones out for a few more weeks probably.

If I ever get going on my tub swap project!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

I did the Ford part conversion to mine. One of the best modifications for articulation that I have done (but then I had the shorter mounts).

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

I would try to find one in a bone yard. In the mean time you can run that one with a big washer or piece of metal strap.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

I just picked mine up yesterday. This will help greatly with my articualation, since I didn't address shock mounts when I did my spring over.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

I broke one of mine a while back and drove without it for a couple of weeks. Yeah, it's a little bouncier, but manageable. In your case, I'd bolt it back on good and snug with the two good holes until I get a replacement. Here are two fairly cheap ways out. One - there's a used set for sale on Ebay right now, auction #

2454220824 Looks like you could get the set for $24 + S&H. I've seen this particular set on there a time or two before. There must not be much of a market for them. Two - I bought a used set off of Ebay (when I broke mine) and only used one of them. The left one. I have a righty that I could part with if you don't want to get the Ebay set, or if you were to lose the auction or whatever. There are also some aftermarket shock towers and you could get them to allow longer shocks if you want. They're a bit pricier, though. Plus, you'd be buying new shocks if you changed sizes. If it were me, I'd get the Ebay set. HTH. TrailMarker.
Reply to
TrailMarker