Goodyear MT/R's: wet pavement, and tread wear...

... are my two main concerns, after posting on the subject and reading a bunch of archived stuff.

Do these things suck on wet pavement, say compared to BFG AT's (what I have on the TJ now)? It rains a LOT where I live. OTOH, all that rain means mud, and my AT's don't do well in mud at tall. So I want something more aggressive but can't go "all the way" to Swampers or the like.

The other concern is tread wear. Several people have mentioned that, with comments like "watching them melt away on the highway daily", etc. I don't need them to last forever, but I'd like to get a solid 30K miles from them.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

The MT/R has some large kerfs cut out of each tread block that adds traction in wet weather. They actually do well in wet weather, I have a set on my daily driver TJ with at least 30,000 miles on them and from the amount of perfectly wearing tread left, I'm guessing they have many more quality miles left on them. They're a very good tire, much stronger (though not quite as long-wearing) than the BFG Mud Terrains they replaced.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

They tend to slide on snow because of the big soild blocks, but they are ok in rain. Siping helps a LOT, but it will not help directional control - just braking. Sipe just the center part and leave the side blocks untouched.

I haven't got a lot of miles on my MT/Rs and they are not mounted on a Jeep, so I can't really comment. I think correct tire pressure is very important, and a lot of guys don't really understand this. Maybe that is contributing to the tread wear reports?

They are superior tires IMHO, and I will stick with them until something better comes along.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies