so i had this great idea.....

in an effort to clean up my garage, i had this great idea of whiting out the entire garage. i painted the walls, the foundation brickwork, and even the floor gloss white.

looked good until i started actually rolling things across thefloor like my floor jack, the welder, the compressor, toolboxes, etc.although the paint had cured for 48 hours, anytime i roll something acrossit, it leaves gouges in the paint. a trip to lowes got some special epoxypaint that is designed to stand up to garage floor usage, but i have to getall the white off the concrete first. its almost funny how simply rollingthe jack across the floor will rip the paint up, but a wire wheel on a10,000 rpm grinder seems to take forever.so, i guess what im asking is whats the fastest way to remove paint offconcrete (aside from acid)?thanks!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Well I'm sure there are many chemicals out there that would work...but since your paint seems to peel off pretty easily you might try renting a high pressure (heated) power washer. I know it sounds strange but I've actually removed baked on paint from metal with these things. I'm sure somebody here has a better idea but I'd hate using flamable paint removers over a large area.

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

Can you pressure wash it? Rent a really strong one. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Maybe a tile scraper? you know, long handle with scraper blade on end? Should get up the loosest stuff fast.

Good Luck Tookie

Reply to
Tookie

roll your jack over the whole floor. ;)

Chris

Brake fluid and 4" putty knife. __ Steve .

Reply to
Steve Cowell

A white garage floor?

Hmmm.....

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Careful about that, I did my garage in that garage floor paint (black though). It doesn't hold up much better than normal paint. I'm not impressed at all with it.

Keith

Reply to
KH

I work at a factory where they're redoing the concrete floors with epoxy paint, the key to getting the paint to stick (we're talking years of hydraulic oil, paint, dirt, etc.) is preperation. They use a machine called a shot blaster, it looks like a combinaton of a floor scrubber/squeege with a sand blaster. takes everything off.

check out the picture.

Reply to
baggss

That's what I would have said, but you beat me to it. I have heard that concrete can be "stained" but unfortunately I don't have any details. I spent the summer removing paint from the hundred ten year old woodwork in my kitchen, and I can tell you that methylene chloride based paint removers work, but I don't recommend them...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I had to clean 40 years of paint off my basement concrete walls so I could recoat them with waterproofing. I tried hundreds of dollars in chemicals, wire wheels, and grinding wheels. Finally bought a pressure feed sand blaster and I was done in a weekend. Messy but effective.

Don't forget the respirator.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Reply to
twaldron

lol......i _knew_ that was coming! :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

argh.....id hate to go through all this again for nothing. maybe ill just strip the paint and leave it unpainted.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

hi thomas, how well does staining/sealing stand up to typical garage use? how well does it stand up to welding sparks? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations. ill give it a try and see what happens.

er, when it cools off a little. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Come on now, I had it tested first.

Josh Cough, cough. I think I have the black lung...

Reply to
Josh

Don't you hate it when such a brilliant idea goes so terribly wrong? I wouldn't have chosen white as my first choice, it seems this would be very difficult to keep clean.

My neighbor had some kind of epoxy floor installed in his garage, it looks very nice.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

lol......yup. sorta like selling your jeep to buy a mustang, it seems like the thing to do at the time!

the wifey says i try harder to keep my garage clean than i do our bedroom. :-) i dunno, i just prefer to keep a very clean working area when possible. since i gave away most of my stuff before the move to montana i have a lot of extra room (for now) and figured id start out with a really clean slate.

how well does it stand up to typical garage type work?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Epoxy holds up well. Industrial epoxy is very hard. Toxic odors, 3 part procedure very similar to POR-15.

-- HAV-A-GOOD 1

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck