spray on bedlining inside a jeep

has anyone ever heard of putting a spray on bedliner in the interior of a jeep wrangler? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of this?

Reply to
ved

Yes, it's pretty common. RhinoLiner, Line-X, TurboLiner, Herculiner, etc.. It makes clean-up with a hose much easier, plus it adds thermal and sound insulation. I plan to do it to my TJ. It's not cheap though, it's usually $400 and up for the spray-on liners done by dealers but they are very thick and worth the additional cost in my opinion. Herculiner is done by the owner and is usually rolled on, though some report success using an undercoating spray gun to apply it. The disadvantage to Herculiner is that it's much thinner, much like paint with ground up rubber particles in it. But it's cheap, $90 or so to buy a gallon which is enough to do the interior of a Jeep with a couple coats.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Heard of it? Seems to be a very popular mod. I'll be doing mine this spring. Advantages, rust protection (especially if you're removing carpet) sound deadening (minimal I suspect, but maybe as good as carpet) it looks good, and is very utilitarian. Disadvantages, it fades over time from semi gloss to flat. It'll be hell if you ever want to remove it.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I had mine Rhino'd last year. Covers the floors, up the sides to the lip of the tub. I mainly did it so I could pull the carpets out (throw them away), protect the tub & make clean up much easier. I thought about the Herculiner, but as someone else said, it's a thinner application.

Local Rhino dealer charged me $400 US to complete it. I had to pull out everything except the driver's seat & seat belt.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Saw a CJ the other day that had Line-x'ed the inside of his engine compartment as well. That looked really good.

Reply to
fletcher

Advantage:

  1. Easy to clean.

Disadvantage:

  1. Does NOT insulate interior from heat.
  2. Noise suppression is marginal, especially in a 2000TJ.

When I did mine, I had to take the roll bars off. Reinstalling them meant I had to cut out and peel away the section where the roll bar would bolt on. I used Herculiner to finish it off. I did mine in 2000 for $700 from Rhino. It was actually $500 but I wanted the lining to roll out and around the door sills to the whole rocker panel.

Would I do it again? Maybe. I had everything torn out, except the steering wheel, pedals, and driver's seat and had to drive 90 miles round trip to have it done. That was one long night/morning!

Reply to
Xtranet

Had Xliner done to the inside of the tub on a 69 cj I restored, it is the cats ass. I plan on buying a 04 tj this weekend and havening it done also. Do not get it done through the dealer go to xliner direct it will be about $100.00 cheaper. The guy I deal with will even reduce the price if you remove the rear and assigner seats and the carpet/padding and basically charges $275.00 to shoot the inside of the tub and tail gate.

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
Drink

This spring I painted the interior of my jeep with Rustoleum brand Roadwarrior bed liner. It is a two part epoxy paint with rubber granules blended in. I did all the work with a brush, dabbing it to get the effect I wanted. I ended up doing three coats throughout and four in the floorpans underfoot. Although the end result was thinner than a spray on liner, I am pleased. Sound deadening isn't that great though and I ended up putting the front carpet back in. The only concern is that the liner is black and isn't UV safe. It will probably fade eventually although it hasn't yet. If it does, I'll probably research what I can top-coat it with to protect it. Anyway, everyone that I know of or have read of has been pleased with bed liner whether they did it themselves or had it done professionally. Good Luck.

Reply to
Rob

I did mine with a can of spray on that I bought from advance auto. It was a lot of work to strip out the interior and prep it, but you want to do a good job on the prep work. The good thing about the spray cans was that you could keep building it up by just spraying more on. I used about 18 spray cans on mine and it looks great. same consistancy as line-x, although it is not as durable. but it didn't cost as much either and I can do touch ups if needed. Its been in for about a year now and no problems.

Dan Ferrell

Reply to
Dan Ferrell

Where did you see the Jeep at?

Reply to
Jim Meyer

I have been taking an auto body class to get my CJ cleaned up. One of the other guys in the class is working on a CJ as well. I will see if he will let me get some pictures. Next class is Tuesday.

Reply to
fletcher

Thanks Fletcher.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

mold/mud/oil/soda/pizza etc. comes off easier.

disadvantage: it's noisier: roadnoise, rattling gun shells etc. etc. the dog has a harder time sitting in the back when going up and coming down steep hills.

R> has anyone ever heard of putting a spray on bedliner in the interior of a

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg