V8 EFI starting problems

If it isn't one thing it's another!!.

The RR is now having trouble starting. It turns over very slowly and starts when cold, but when hot forget it the battery goes flat!. I've checked the earth straps etc and they are all giving a good connection to earth. Tonight I tried the mutli meter and found:

After 24 hours parked up volts were 10.12 at the battery (which to me is too low)

Start the thing up and let it idle and you have 14.14 at the battery, which I think is about right.

Turn the engine off and watch the meter, nothing happens until you put load on the battery ie open the door and the roof light and door light and you can then watch the volts drop....13.30...13.29...13.28 and so on.

The battery was charged for 20 hours from late Saturday PM and put back on the car Sunday afternoon. Go out for a drive Sunday afternoon, manage to stall the car, turn key and nothing. No click, click from the starter and a very dim battery light in the dash.

So I'm thinking the battery has had it. Is there anything else I should be looking at. I'll get the battery tested tomorrow and see what a battery tester says.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

On or around 5 Apr 2004 13:21:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@jackson547.fsnet.co.uk (Dom J) enlightened us thusly:

assuming that you've checked for something that's draining current on the vehicle, and not found such... then it sounds a lot like a dud battery.

only way to be sure (other than simply replacing it) is to charge the battery and leave it disconnected to see if it goes flat.

I had one do this on the bike - less than a year old too, the f*cker was - was happily riding along, slowed down coming into town and the bike died, dead as a bloody dodo. Trailered it home, left it for a while, tried charging the battery, and it wouldn't charge. I fully expected to find a charging fault on the bike, but putting a new battery on solved it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles