Corolla starting procedure

Hi

A friend has stored his '98 Corolla at my place...that I want to move. He left the keys but didn't tell me how to start the car. I have tried everything I can think of, but there must be some theft deterrent procedure that I can't figure out, but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

If the transmission is manual (stick shift), apply the parking brake, depress the clutch pedal to the floor, shift the transmission into neutral, and turn the ignition key.

If the transmission is automatic, apply the parking brake, make sure the transmission lever is inn Park or Neutral, and turn the ignition key.

If that doesn't work, try giving the car a jump.

Reply to
Ray O

Newer manual transmission cars have a clutch safety - you have to put the shifter in neutral and depress the clutch all the way to the floor before the starter will engage.

Almost all automatic transmission cars have a neutral safety switch where it will not start unless it's in Park or Neutral. And sometimes they get out of adjustment or dirty - try it in both the P and N positions, and wiggle the shift lever a bit if it still won't start.

If you still don't get anything, check the battery and put it on a trickle charge overnight if it's been sitting over a week.

And once it starts, there's also an electrical interlock on newer automatic cars where you have to step on the brakes to shift out of Park. Don't forget that one. A car with a good battery and no electrical faults should to be able to sit unused for two weeks and still start, his battery may be weak or old. If the car still has the original battery that's 11 years on a five to six year battery...

Old battery? (Date code before 2002) They go bad just from old age. Change the battery, and if the car won't be started and driven a few miles at least once a week get a "Battery Tender" type 120V trickle charger to keep it charged. And you still need to start it once a month.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

"Gerry" wrote in news:S9gbk.75259$gc5.2369@pd7urf2no:

Has your friend disconnected the battery?

Reply to
Tegger