steering box replace and/or upgrade

Son's 92 YJ's steering has WAY too much free play. I figure it's the gear box and we're about to buy the replacement.

  1. I've seen prices on the manual box that range from 8 to 0. Nothing in the description of the parts gives any indication as to why one would be worth more. Do any of you have any clue? Quadratec has the low price so far.
  2. Is there danger of the box just giving out entirely if not replaced soon enough?
  3. Is conversion to power steering practical? I've been told the engine itself is different and therefore it is not really an option.
Reply to
EdC

Not sure about a manual, but a re-man power steering box from Advance Auto is ~$170. Some of the AGR units will cost a bit more... they are supposed to be "heavy duty". Yours won't just suddenly give out and fail, it will probably work for a long time... just develop more play. Also look for play in the steering shaft. A power steering conversion is an option... I did it on mine. You have to go to a bone yard and get the pump mounting brackets... your block will have the hole necessary. May as well pick up the pump and gear box from the same donor... then you have core components for re-build/re-man. Look for any vehicle with the same motor (258 I assume?). Mine came out of a Jeep pickup.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

I had the same problem with too much play in my steering wheel. There is a nut with a hex head center on top of the gear box. Loosen the nut and tighten the hex center, then retighten the nut. Be careful not to over tighten the hex center bolt because it is very easy to do so. This should take the play out of your steering without having to buy a new box.

-Brent Bogrees '89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L TBI ? 33x10.5 BFG MT's '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L ? 31x10.5 BFG AT's

Brent Bogrees

You can compensate for some play, but be carefull when making this adjustment:

JimG

Reply to
JimG

In article , "JimG" wrote: A power steering conversion is an option... I did it

This is a 4.0L with manual steering. Hope that means you're still right about the engine. I, for the life of me, can't imagine any vehicle having different blocks just to provide for manual vs. power steering. Thanks for all the help so far!

Reply to
EdC

The block will be the same... holes ready for mounting.

JimG

Reply to
JimG