Replacing Steering Box: Should I Replace Steering Coupler, Too

Since I'm getting ready to replace the leaky steering box on my 380sl with 150k miles on it, I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to replace the steering coupler too, even though there's no indication that it's worn. Looking at the steering box, I was also wondering whether it's possible to remove the pitman arm without removing the exhaust pipe that comes off the left manifold and travels under the arm.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Travis Bickell

Why NOT replace the coupling at the same time? Just think how you'd feel if the coupling needed to be replaced in the next few years - after you thought you were done with the steering.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 19:43:55 -0700, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Travis Bickell