Horn Blows Fuse, Steering wheel makes sound

Boy am I glad I found this news group. This is my first time here.

I have a 2000 Silverado, got it new, the warranty is out.

Every time I honk the horn I blow the fuse for it, in the fuse box. Also for the past 10000 miles or so the steering wheel has been making a weird sound when I turn. It's coming from the inside, and it's a swooshing sound. Almost like when rubbing two pieces of silk together.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

IS.

Reply to
IS

Disclaimer: I AM wrong, I AM dumb, I CAN NOT spell, and I AM sorry for posting That should cover "most" flames!

I think, the horn works by a single ground wire in the colum, and relay under dash. It has 12v to it at all times and the "switch" povides the ground.

I had a gold necklace, that was haging around my steering colum, wind up getting into the colum where it turns and I had the same prob.

this probably isnt your cause but it sounds like somthing in there shorting out the horn.

If I am correct about the negative wire operation, you can go the the horn with a piece of wire and ground it out to the frame, if it blows oz, the horn itself is good, relays (if you can find it) airnt to $$ but the sound you here tells me somthing in the shaft (only a hot wire) is interfearing w/ the hour spinner thingy. DO your turn sigs work? cruse control? are thier radio controls on the wheel?

taking a colum apart IS NOT for the mecanicaly chalenged!

Repete: Disclaimer: I AM wrong, I AM dumb, I CAN NOT spell, and I AM sorry for posting That should cover "most" flames!

Reply to
Asinner2

Hi!

Long time no see...

Don't you worry one bit about it. A) It's only Usenet B) Who cares about spelling if we know what you're saying and C) Just mention that you're "here for the fun of it!".

And D) A guess is often right, more times than you'd care to think about it.

Reply to
William R. Walsh

my bad, the relay is activated by grounding and the horn by 12v. and the only way for a column short would be with a another hotwire

p.s. gm WAY over engineered their steering columns, I would think twice about tearing one apart....again!

p.s.s. simple solution: remove horn, use middle finger, like everyone else! (extended out the window for better viewing, I even let my passengers help with this method)

Reply to
Asinner2

If the ground ring is shorting out to ground, when you make contact with the ring, the relay will get it's feed, but it will also ground out and fry the fuse.

I'd recommend taking the column apart and inspecting things, but as was mentioned, it's a PITA.

Reply to
GaWd

Let me try this again:

Not knowing exactly how Chevy's horn system works, I can't say which part of the system is grounding out. I do, however, think it would be relatively easy to have one part of the horn switch grounding out and only causing drama when it makes a complete circuit.

Sam Know-it-all smartypants for 26, going on 27 years...

Reply to
GaWd