Stock Fog Light Lenses

Hi folks, My stock fog lights (2002 TJ) found a rock and one of them now has a broken lens. The rock is actually still inside the light. So I need to replace the lens (need to get it inspected this month too). It came with the clear lenses, but I am thinking that I might as well replace them with yellow ones (someone tell me why...). So here are the questions:

1) It looks like I just torx bolt them off no problem - is this correct? 2) Where can one get replacement lenses for this? Cost? 3) Is yellow the thing to do? Thanks folks, Tomes
Reply to
Tomes

I don't know how to take them apart, but if you drive in fog, the yellow light is many orders of magnitude better than the white light. They even use yellow in the highway intersections on the Canadian east coast and on the bridges. There is a radical difference seeing in yellow.

Mike

Mike Romain

If they are the same ones on the 04s you have to buy the whole unit the bulbs do not come out. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

That is a one piece unit . Yellow is good in fog, and cuts down glare in the rain.

Is the rock allright?

Reply to
TwoTracker

Actually the bulb is fine - it still lights up - it is just a busted lens. It does look like the frame holding the lens in place unscrews - I will go try to get it off. I am chagrinned to hear that I may need to buy the whole light. Thanks for the yellow advice there Mike too. Stay tuned... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Yep, lol, the rock is fine. It just sits there all proud and smirky.

Reply to
Tomes

Is the rock standard equipment?

Reply to
billy_ray

Aftermarket.

Reply to
Tomes

someone once told me that you can see further with white light - but you can be seen from further away with yellow light. I never thought it was important enough to spend the time to verify this. It seems to me that if the light travels far enough to be seen - you should be able to see????

Reply to
Carlo F. Serusa, Jr RPh

If that were the determining factor then lenses would all be green.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

There is a 'radical' difference. In fog you can see the yellow lit up intersection coming for a ways. The white lit ones 'suddenly' appear as you are right under the light.

Same for oncoming cars. The white light ones just pop out of the fog at you. The yellow ones gradually appear out of the fog.

Mike

"Carlo F. Serusa, Jr RPh" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This appears to depend on the individual. Some folks prefer a slight yellow cast, particularly in heavy fog, some appear to prefer a neutral white beam. More important is a very good lens and shield so you get a very sharp cutoff on the topside so you get a minimum of backscatter from the fog into your eyes. The whiter backscatter bothers my particular eyeballs a bit more than yellow, but some of the best "fog" lights I've had were the Z-Beam Cibies that were a traditional high power light with a very very sharp upper cutoff. Worked great in heavy snow, particularly that really fine blowing stuff..

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon