Maximum Tire Size....

Hello all. Question for you.

A long time ago I asked what the largest tires you could run on a Cherokee Sport w/out any sort of lift, and was given an answer of

235/75R15 (which was correct, and I never had any issues).

Well, I now have a Cherokee Limited, which seems to have a 16 diameter. The tries that are on it now (bought it used, no idea if they're the original tires or not) are "P225/70R16". The sticker on the door can't be trusted, as it lists that they should be "R15".

My question is (finally), what are the largest tires I can run without rubbing (there is no lift to this vehicle).

Thanks again

Hank

Reply to
Hank

If my maths is right and the suspension height hasn't altered, a 235x70x16 is .08" taller than a 235x75x15. Don't know how much difference that tenth of an inch makes though.Probably less than the difference between various tyre manufacturers.

235/25.4x0.75x2+15 = 28.87 high 225/25.4x.7x2+16=28.4" high. 235x70x2/25.4/100+16 = 28.95 high

Dave Milne

Are the wheels (rims) aftermarket or Factory?

I think they only came from the factory with 15s but may have been replaced at some time.

What year? I think the last Cherokee Ltd was '98

It isn't a Grand Cherokee is it?

Reply to
Billy Ray

99% sure their factory (as they have Jeep in the middle). Rims look EXACTLY like this:

OR

According to Tirerack.com, when I select JUST the 2001 Cherokee, it comes up as 225/70-16 as original equipment. When I select a 2001 Cherokee Sport, I get 225/75-75 as original equipment.

According to the registration, it's an 01. And if you look at the first link, it's named as an '01 limited.

Nope, 10000% sure it's an XJ.

Thanks

Hank

Reply to
Hank Allen

Also, in looking at tirerack.com, I only find two tires that are designated as "off-road" tires. Don't plan on doing a lot of off-roading, but I do want something I know I could go "off-road" with.

Would it be easier to get the same size rims that are one the XJ Sport?

If so, which ones do I want?

Thanks again

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Sorry to reply so many times.

Would I be able to bump up one to 235/70-16 INSTEAD of 225/70-16?

If so, they have the tires I want in that size.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

I would not replace the rims unless there is a reason to do so.

Excerpt from the '01 XJ manual on tire options: SPECIFICATIONS

DESCRIPTION SPECIFICATION

Tire P215/75R15

Tire P225/75R15

Tire P225/70R15

Tire P225/70R16

The new tire size you mentioned (235-70x16) are only 6/10 inch taller than what you have now and will give you a 29" tire.

for example:

The new tire size you mentioned (235-70x16) are only 6/10 inch taller than what you have now and will give you a 29" tire.

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

225/70-16 6.2in 14.2in 28.4in 89.2in 710 0.0% 235/70-16 6.5in 14.5in 29.0in 91.0in 697 1.9% 245/70-16 6.8in 14.8in 29.5in 92.7in 684 3.9% To see what all TireRack has available for you in 16 inch enter your vehicle as a 2001 Cherokee sport and when the OE tire page comes up select (above) "Optional Tire Sizes Available in" and select 16 inch. That will tell you of an option of 225-70-16 and then select "Show All" and then make your choices. Highway All Season is (kinda) 95% Highway 5% off-road. Off-Road All-Terrain is (again kinda) 70% highway 30% off-road) and Off-Road Maximum Traction is (still kinda) 30% highway and 70% off-road. It sounds as if you are really wanting something from the Off-Road All Terrain category.

Reply to
Billy Ray

So then I should be able to use these tires without any rubbing?

Thanks again

Hank

Reply to
Hank

I have a 95 Sport with 235/75 R15's, and they rub at full lock :(

My door sticker says that 215/75 R15 are stock, but my build sheet says it was sold with 225/75 R15s.

If you go to the jeep website you can ask for a copy of the original build sheet which will show what the vehicle was sold with.

As others have stated, tirerack and or tires.com should have some optional sizes available for your vehicle. IIRC, tires.com will show what will fit w/o any modifications, and what will fit with modest to moderate changes so you can decide how big to go.

noneyabusiness

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Looked at all the info on tires.com. It shows me Plus Zero, Plus One, and Plus two.

I could gladly live with Plus Zero, which I believe requires NO modification. When you move into Plus One or Plus Two, the wheel diameter changes (which I'm correct) would require new rims.

Right?

Thanks

Reply to
Hank

Thanks! Someone else mentioned something like this, but this makes it quite clear.

[snip]

noneyabusiness

I also just bought an XJ Ltd. It's a 2000 and looks *exactly* like this...

sheet says P225/70R16 - it came to me with P235/70R16'sIt's the one with the Tokico TrekMaster R/T shocks
- guess I'll be the one to try them out. Steve

95 YJ 98 ZJ 00 XJ
Reply to
Steve Landis