Stoplamp/Cruise Switch - '93 JGC

I have had a problem with my stoplamp switch nearly the entire life of our '93 JGC. It's not the stoplamps per se that are the problem, but the cruise control which uses the same switch. The switch is so sensitive, small bumps in the road knock the cruise control off. I end up pulling up on the brake petal with my toe every time I see rough pavement or a bridge. Not a good solution.

I have tried adjusting the switch until I am blue in the face with no results. If I get it so the cruise stays on, then the stoplamps don't come on. It's a vicious circle. I took the switch out and found that there is only a tiny bit of travel before the switch actuates. Maybe a 1/16" or less. I went to the Jeep dealer and was going to buy a new one, but it too had the tiny bit of travel before you hear it click. Has anyone else had this problem? It's really annoying. I have thought about checking aftermarket switches, like at NAPA or Checker to see if they are any different.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Maybe it isn't the switch, but rather the pedal being sloppy. Maybe it needs new bushings, or possibly a spring to keep it as high as possible?

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Reply to
Dick