Overheated

I took my '85 CJ7 (4cyl) out for a highway run for a few minutes and the following happened:

  1. I couldn't get it above 80km an hour. I know Jeeps aren't fast but prior to my timing chain/electrical/timing issues, I could at least get it up to a little over 100. I'm guessing it's just still not timed 100% correctly?

  1. It overheated pretty badly. The gauge on the dash didn't register it as having overheated but I could smell it and when I got home, there was smoke coming off the block. The oil and rad fluid are at the normal levels. My dad is guessing either the thermostat or water pump (there is a small leak on the pump, too). Anything else to test here?

During the fixes the following were replaced/done:

  1. timing chain/sprockets
  2. ignition coil
  3. plugs/wires/cap/rotor
  4. Nutter bypass

Thanks!

Reply to
griffin

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Ouch.....

If the timing chain is off a tooth, it will act like that.

Did you verify the number of pins are right between the timing marks?

To do this, you put the chain and sprockets on with the sprocket timing marks in a straight line with the shaft centers closest to each other. Then you turn the engine until the cam timing mark comes up to the top, stop and count the number of chain pins to the crank sprocket mark. On the 4 banger you must have 20 pins to be correct.

Oh, smoke coming off the block after a timing job is pretty normal. it is all the fluids and grease just burning off.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain