torqueing crank bolt

errrr

hi,

any tricks to torque the crank bolt on a 95 w/o the special service tool?

thanks, peter

Reply to
pm

Methinks, if you're going to do it this way, top gear is probably best.

--Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

didbt work...too much "play" with the compression. but thanks, peter

Reply to
pm

hmmm, i get about 30 - 40 degrees of rotation with the engine and everything else in place. when apply torque, i get the the it feels like i am compressing the air in the cyl's but not enough to torque the bolt.. i do see what you mean tho...i must be loading up the drive train but not enough to lock up everything for a solid torque.

you have me wondering now....

i did get it torqued by clamping the pulley and belt and progressively increasing the setting on my wrench.

This works if the car is a stick shift.

Reply to
pm

An old motorcycle trick - take out a sparkplug and cram a length of nylon rope into the cylinder (leaving the end hang out of course). The nylon will keep the engine from rotating but not hurt the piston, valves, etc.; and when you're done just pull it out and replace the plug.

miker

Reply to
miker

triumph maybe??

take out a sparkplug and cram a length of nylon

i will remember this one

thanks, peter

Reply to
peter

Put it in 5th gear, set parking brake, and loosen/lower the sway-bar. At least I had to on my 97, my torque wrench wouldn't fit in there unless I took the bolts almost all the way out and pulled the sway bar down as far as it would go.

Chris

Reply to
Hal