Bumper/airbag question

I am planning on building custom front/rear bumpers for my 99 XJ. Is the airbag system part of the stock bumper?

Reply to
kid4lyf

I do not think it is. I believe the air bag trigger is a decellorometer thingie that actually lives in the area between the fenderwells and the firewall. You want the deployment mechanism to be protected from direct impact because it could become damaged beyond the point of being useful before it ever tells the airbags to deploy, if it is placed further back on the frame (ie, closer to the firewall) then it will be protected enough to deploy the airbag before it is destroyed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Where are the crash sensors located? That is the question.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, do you see any sensors marked on the diagram? God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Strickland wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

No, but my BMW has a similar diagram that also shows the sensors. I suppose the "sensors" could be an integral part of the controller, but normally they are a triple-, or maybe only a double-redundant system that contains multiple sensors. Having a diagram with no sensors is what raised the question.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Anonymous
15 pounds of tow hooks? That seems a bit much.

"baggss baggss.net>" the stock bumper is worthless weighs about 25 lbs 40 if you include the tow

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

I think that is what Bill is saying.

My limited experience with airbags is that there should be some sort of redundantcy built in on the sensors because a single sensor could be damaged/destroyed before it can deploy the airbag. My BMW has multiple sensors. Certainly a single sensor could be used, and in this case it could be housed in the control module, I just didn't consider this possibility earlier.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Do tow hooks really weigh in at 7.5 pounds apiece including the two bolts that hold them on? I guess I am comparing to my CJ, and the hooks that I have could weigh anywhere near that number.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

More than that I think. A fair bit more.

The tow hooks on a Cherokee are part of a 'heavy duty' bumper mount.

You cannot just put tow hooks on a Cherokee. You must remove the bumper and the bumper mount and replace the mount for a heavy one with the hook bracket.

Nothing at all like a CJ.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Considering where the ACM is located, if the impact is so sever that it is damaged, I don't think airbags are gonna save you anyway...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Bill, don't know what that is, but is for sure isn't a factory tow hook bracket.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That is a bracket for a rear tow hook for a cherokee.

Kevin in Iowa

Kevin in Iowa

The vacuum reservoir is mounted behind the factory bumper...

Reply to
Grumman-581