Tailgate hinge replacement for TJ

Hi,

I know many folks have had problems with the TJ tailgate hinges. One of mine broke recently. Can anyone suggest a replacement? After some quick searches I have seen many stainless and chrome hinges, but I would prefer them to be black so as to match the rest of the Jeep. Ideally they would be stainless painted black. If anyone knows of such an animal I would appreciate the help.

Reply to
dteah

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Or not, I like the tail gate on my TJ better than the tail gate on my CJ7 (I consider both real Jeeps). If it were me, I would look for a power coated stainless hinge. Do a search at

have a black power coated tailgate hinge for sale.

Reply to
John Benito

I replaced our TJs tailgate hinges a few months ago with a set of black, stainless hinges (supposedly made by Kentrol) and purchased from national4wd (

Keep in mind tha this si a canadian company so their prices are in cdn $ (similar to Peso), but I'm sure there are US suppliers with them as well.

They look great and work very well.

One word of advice. When i went to remove the Torx bolts, they were seized solid and I broke (2) torx bits. I finally gave up and simply drilled the heads out, pulled the nut-plates out from behind the body, removed the rest of the bolt and re-used the nutplates with the new bolts.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
GzrGlide

Isn't kentrol just the renameing of steelhorse? Nick

Nick N

Reply to
dteah

That would be Smittybilt.