Teraflex Sucks

After intalling my Teraflex S4T "Suspension System" i would never buy it again. The instructions are so bad they are virtually useless. And why did i need to pay all that money for adjustable lower control arms when the jeep aligned properly without any adjustment from the stock length? The adjustable rear UCA's take care of the pinion angle just fine by themselves.

Reply to
sunofafish

Hey just wait 2 years when you have to take all the arms off to replace the bushings. Do you think that just 1 zert on each arm can actually grease it? Oh and do not try to use a big grease gun since you could blow the Oring. But I have them and it is really a jeep thing!

Reply to
snowboardripper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The lower adjustables control where the wheel sets in the wheel well. The upper adjustables control the pinion angle and are used for alignment on the front.

The instruction do suck. When I did mine in '99 they said they were in the process of changing the instructions, from what I have heard they haven't changed them yet.

If you don't control where the wheel rides in the wheel well the springs look like a ")" instead of "|". Which will wear the springs faster.

Someone else said 2 years for bushings. I never got 2 years out of mine, a year at most. At least you don't have to take the control arms off to replace the bushings and they don't have to be pressed in, like stock or RE short arms. Just do one end at a time and they are fairly easy.

--James

Reply to
RocknCJ

I've used both Teraflex and Rubicon Express arms and they both leave a LOT to be desired. But the Teraflex arms handle better on the road. Off road the Rubicon Express arms worked better for me, BUT Rubicon Express customer support was as bad as I have ever experienced anywhere. (and trust me that is pretty damn bad)

But at the end of the day if you want your jeep lifted you have to buy the parts from somebody, and for all I know they all "suck". My Teraflex arms have about

30K miles on them with out the problems other are reporting. However when the bushing do crack I've got this web page to help me fix the problem.

After intalling my Teraflex S4T "Suspension System" i would never buy

Reply to
Dean

I finally stopped laughing enough to respond. Yes, I've been there with Rubicon's customer support. It's not just bad, it's comical. I think Rubicon's customer support is basically the owner's spoiled brat kid and a cell phone. Everyone I know that's tried to decipher their poor installation instructions has given up and called them for help. They all come back with the same story: "Doh!!!" Whoever it is he hasn't a clue how to deal with the public. Both Tera and Rubicon are fairly new companies that are almost exclusively targeted at the Jeep crowd (though I see Rubicon is starting to offer stuff for the Ford Super Duty.) As such they aren't as well capitalized as some of the other outfits, like Currie, Skyjacker, Superlift, etc. Their customer service will probably improve if their businesses continue to grow.

Best support I've experienced has been with Skyjacker, great folks and very knowledgeable. Haven't met anyone who's installed one of their TJ kits that was unhappy with them, they aren't currently quite as "hip" with the Jeep crowd as Rubicon & Tera, however. (Not sure why that matters, but apparently it does!)

Reply to
SoK66

alignment on

Which control arms have to be adjusted and by how much? And what is an easy method to check if my pinion is pointed 2 degrees below the transfer case? I used the eyeball method and i don't have any vibs.

Reply to
bigcoupee

I have adjusted all of them at one time or another. When I made my 8.8 I welded the brackets & perches so that the angle was built into it, as close as I could.

The "eyeball" method works, as long as you aren't having vibes and the wheel is centered in the wheel well.

--James

Reply to
RocknCJ

Have not bought/installed a lift kit yet - but I did go to the RE office/shop & I was extremely happy with the treatment I received. One of the guys that worked there (I think his name is Pete) allowed me to drive his TJ (not a company vehicle).

I'm stashing whatever I can scratch up in a special drawer (pennies found on the road, pocket change, pay backs, etc) & will, someday, purchase the 5.5" long arm (unless I receive valid advise to the contrary)

Reply to
Carlo

I had the 5.5" RE long arm kit ready to install but swapped the springs and shocks to turn it into the 4.5" version instead. For 35" tires as I run, it's perfect. 5.5" is too tall until you get to the 37" tire size.

Jerry

Carlo wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

Yep, I have a 1" body lift.

Jerry

twaldr> Do you have a 1" body lift? I have the RE 4.5", but get occasional > rubbing with 35s.

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

P.S. In reality, the 5.5" lift is well over just being 1" taller than the 4.5" is. Some have gotten nearly 7" from their 5.5" LA kit! I knew I didn't need nor want anything nearly that tall since I knew I didn't want to go to 37" tires.

Jerry

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford