Wandering TJ

2000 TJ Sahara 6 cylinder Automatic Trans 30,000 miles BDS 3 inch Lift Kit

I purchased this Jeep with about 20,000 miles on it and it drove perfectly straight. I decided to put a lift kit on it so I had a BDS 3 inch lift installed on it with new wheels and 33 X 10.5 tires. They ballanced the wheels and did the alignment and I picked it up. It looks great but it seems to wander and it only takes a small turn the other way to correct but then it wanders that way so it is a constant wandering feeling. Well I took the vehicle back and mentioned the wandering to them and they said that it was probable a combination of the larger tires and the lift that caused it to wander. I have driven the vehicle for about 10,000 miles thinking it would maybe fix itself but it did not. I thought maybe I should take it in and see if the alignment is really correct and maybe the person who alighned it did it wrong or something. Then the other day I was reading in a news group about another person having this trouble. Could someone give me an idea what I should do to see if I can make this vehicle drive straight. Also another strange this about the lift kit is when you go over diverences in terrain like going up a steep driveway the like kit makes all kinds of squecking noises almost like the bushings or something is too tight. Anyway I would be very happy if someone would give me any ideas on what I can do.

Thanks

Reply to
Dennis Croll

Have them re-check your toe-in/out. _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > 2000 TJ Sahara

Reply to
twaldron

That usually means the toe in isn't correct 'if' there are no worn out parts.

Worn out parts like tie rod ends will cause a wander. You can grab each wheel with the steering locked and twist it right and left. If you feel play or give or a thunk, then check the tie rod ends.

One other is the track bar bushing. If you can have someone pin the steering from side to side while you watch the ends of the track bar for movement. Any movement in the bushing will cause a wander.

You can check the toe yourself with a tape measure. I go from the tire seam to the seam on the other side as far up as I can reach. I then go to the back of the tire and do the same. I think you should have about

1/8" less in front than the rear.

Mike

Mike Romain

Most lifts will screw up the caster angle to where it will have less of an "on center" feeling, a lift like yours probably put it less than 4 degrees. You can adjust the caster with adjustable upper control arms or cam bolts for the LCA's, but you would throw the front pinion angle out of whack. FSM says the pinion angle takes precedence over caster angle. Short of relocating the suspension bracketry, or relocating the steering knuckles on the ends of the axle, it's something you'll probably have to live with

That said, the lower caster angle itself exacerbates bad toe-in, so have the alignment checked again.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Did they install a rear track bar relocation bracket?? a friend of mine has the same lift and had the same problems...have a look at the spacing between your rear wheels and the coils to see if it's equal on both sides...if there's more room on one side than the other there's a good chance you need a rear track bar relocation bracket to center the rear axle...and if not included in the kit will run you around $50. and are made by BDS...

Good luck! and please let us know how ya make out...

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY