Control Arm adjustment questions

I have a Tera 4ST lift which only has lower adj. control arms. When lifted and with a properly adjusted pinion, the front and rear axles are moved closer to the center of the TJ, shortening the wheelbase.

Questions:

  1. Would uppper adj. control arms enable me to move the axles back to the center point of the wheel wells?

  1. What would be the proper adj. procedure to accomplish this? Should the lowers go back to stock length and just adj. the uppers, or what?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
twaldron

I have a similar suspension in a 98TJ. A properly adjusted pinion does pull the rear axle forward, but you will notice that the front lower control arms are longer than stock, and the overall change in wheel base is probably not as much as it appears. As long as there are no vibrations and the alignment is fine, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to center the tires in the wheel wells. I have never had them rub, and I don't believe that this will hurt anything.

To specifically answer your question, upper adjustable arms will help you bring them back. The lower ones will have to be longer than stock to get it right, and the exact length will depend upon how far you have to go to get the wheel wells to line up.

Regards,

Guri Sandhu

Reply to
G.Sandhu

But that only happens if you don't know to use adjustable-length UPPER control arms instead of adjustable length lower control arms with which to adjust the pinion angle. Using lower arms to adjust the pinion angle does indeed shorten the wheelbase (pull the rear axle forward) which is why you should raise the pinion angle with adjustable upper control arms instead.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

but you will notice that the front lower

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

Here you go, how about this:

Still tweak> You're finally going to get your new black TJ off the ground:

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/vwp?.dir=/Jeep+Rubic>

Reply to
twaldron

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/vwp?.dir=/Jeep+Rubic> >

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Oh, hehe. That's really just the jack handle you're seeing laying on the floor, it only looks like it's being used. In fact, that jack is so small, I was only using it to tilt the axles when installing the springs and attaching the control arms, but if you look carefully in the other shot, you can see the same handle is partially under the creeper, not a jack.

Those pics were taken just a few seconds apart without moving anything other than the camera. The TJ is sitting on it's own four tires alone, I promise. I'll get some better shots once I adjust axle positions, rough in the toe-in, and straighten the steering wheel...hopefully today.

I posted a close up of the 'suspect' area you're talk> The small one with the white handle, that's lifting the spring