Dana 44

Hello again, Jeepheads. I bought a Dana 44 today to retrofit into my YJ. It is in rough shape on the outside, and I intend to spend the winter weekends piecing it together. My question is about lug patterns. It came with six lugs. What is the common thought on six lug vs 5x4.5? I may or may not go back to this guy and buy a front D44, based partly on what the popular opinion is on this lug pattern. I assume that there are companies selling 5 lug axles for this thing, that shouldn't be a problem.

What have the rest of you done with lug patterns when doing this swap?

Jerry

Reply to
belowme

Assuming it's not a complete pile of junk, and since you'll have to go though it anyway, I'd swap it for 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern axles, or have the ones you've got re-drilled to the 5 bolt pattern. What did this come out of?

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I don't know what it came out of, this fella has got Jeep parts piled up to here. He pulled back a tarp on the ground to reveal probably 100 axles, all purportedly from one jeep or another. I believe he told me this particular one was from a Waggy... all he had for D44's were 6 lug. Do ya think there is a weakness to the 4.5" bolt pattern? It sure looks puny compared to a six lug pattern, but I don't know of any wheels or axles breaking at the flange.

Jerry

Reply to
belowme

Thanks, Bill, I will give it some thought. It obviously means buying new wheels if I go with a D44 front..... I don't think the D30 is going to give me a problem, as far as durability goes, but that vacuum actuator is quirky. He wants $400 for the front axle, that could go a long way towards making the rear axle right.

Jerry

Reply to
belowme

It probably came from a FSJ, like the Grand Wagoneer.

Reply to
TJim

The whole point of a larger lug pattern (either 5 lug/5.5inch or the 6 lug) is to have a larger center hole for a stronger hub design in the front axle. The rear doesn't matter. You have a rear 44 6 lug now......go ahead and get a matching front...BUT I think 400 is too high. Around here, a matching set of

44's (5 by 5.5 inch) from a Scout go for 400.
Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That would be my vote.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Actually, the D30 in a YJ is fairly stout, reverse pinion and the disconnect contraption can be tossed if you install a one-piece right side axle from Warn, etc. However, the cost to beef it up may be much higher than just swapping in a FSJ front D44 and over hauling it to your liking.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

If that D44 has 6 lugs you might wanna double check the width also. The Full Size Jeeps Grand Wag, Cherokee etc etc had D44's under them in the 6 lug on 5.5 pattern.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR

Depending on what year YJ, you may have the same joint that's in the D44. The 95 1/2 YJ's have the same axle joint as the TJ's which is equivalent to the Dana 44. (297 I think). This sounds crazy but since they did not make a 96, there is a such thing as a 95 1/2. Here is the way to tell if you have a 95 1/2. The tailgate hinges are the same as a TJ (beefy ones) and the rubbers stops on the Hood for the windshield frame; if you have these two options you have the larger axle joint. Mine is a 95 and it has the standard loops on the hood and the old hinges. Anyway the whole point of that story was all TJ's and 95 1/2 YJ's have the bigger joints.

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris