Throttle Body Spacer

Hello everyone:

I have a 97 TJ, and was wondering if a throttle body spacer would be a good investment. Right now the engine is stock, and I've read that some TBSs increase gas miles 10%, and increase horsepower as well. The gas mileage is where it would help the most. Do these actually cause a noticable difference, and, if so, what brands are the best?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
97tjMike

TB spacers are supposed to facilitate fuel atomization when using a carburetor or throttle body fuel injection system. Since you have a MPI system with injection straight into the intake manifold, just upstream of the intake valves, this would be a total waste of time and money.

I realized some performance and economy gain, although nothing to write home about, using Turbo City's

Stage Two performance kitfor Jeep YJ Wrangler 2.5. The economy gain is measurable, a whole 3-4 mpg.The performance gain is probably wishful thinking. Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

TB spacers are pure junk.

The changes in "horsepower" or "feel" are due to the shifting of the linkages. Essentially shortening them so the throttle is open a bit more earlier in the pedal and the kickdown for the transmission is also changed a small amount.

The only possible benefit is a thing called hemholtz tuning, but that is only valid at specific RPMs and is not a trivial calculation.

Way back when, carb spacers were used to shield the carb from engine heat and allowed a more dense charge. These days they are just snakeoil.

I've always said if they were that good I'd bolt on ten and never need gas again.

Reply to
DougW