Tire Carrier for 35" Tires

Hello Everybody..

I've decided to go with 35" tires on my 2001 TJ that I am building up. This means the stock tire carrier will have to go. Yes, I am going with five tires.

I have a rack now that is real handy and it holds two jerry cans. That will also have to go. The 35" tire will not fit between the arms.

My question is has anybody found a quality tire carrier for 35" tires. I'd like a rack and a way to carry my jerry cans but that seems to put me into a very expensive product, like Wilderness.

Also, I think good old steel wheels are fine and may be better than fancy alloy expensive wheels. They bend not break. Agree?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

L.W.(ßill)

Ah, nice Bill but I want to keep the back seat. I was looking for something that swings away in the back. I see a few listed in catalogs - just was wondering if anybody had a favorite. I would keep the original "spare" (30") but sure as I do that, I will need a spare and be in trouble. The Wilderness carrier is nice but so expensive!

Reply to
Andy

Try

A bit pricey, but great stuff.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I haven't seen one in action but Bestop makes an interesting tire carrier. Go to quadratec.com and search for product 12203+00. No racks available, AFAIK.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hey, thanks Jerry and Matt for great ideas. Oh, yes Bill, I am stuck with a TJ. But you have helped too - Thanks.

Now, wheels. Is steel an OK choice. I'm used to them from my older real Jeeps (Long Gone) and they held up well, rusted some but still looked good after a steel wool polish and good wax. Plus they are cheaper.

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Steel is good. In a pinch a BFH can be used to straighten the rims enough to get you home usually.

Reply to
jbjeep