tire recommendations?

Interesting they call for that high and yup the winch counts. Likely they say go high for gas mileage reasons. A harder tire has less rubber touching the road which is less friction.

If I put 33 psi in my 9.5's and chalk test, I only have 4" of tread touching ground.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

twaldron

Yes. If the tire is rated for 80psi @3Klb, then it should perform similarly when inflated to 26 or 27 psi under a 4000 lb Jeep. Using chalk to find the optimal inflation for even wear will likely produce similar results.

Steve

twaldr> Lower than 29psi on an 80psi tire??

Reply to
Steve

How much lead to you have in the back of the jeep that would warrant running over pressure for your vehicle's sticker weight?

For my CJ7 with it's original steel body, 26 psi gave a decent footprint with 31x10.5 tires. I ran 28 fully loaded which is about the weight of a TJ empty and all 4 tires wore out perfectly even all at the same time.

I have to keep my 33x9.5's at 29 psi or I get more side roll than I like, but they handle better down near 25 psi.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Lead? Well does a Warn winch and a rear bumper combo count as lead? :)

The Rubicon's door says 33 psi., the tires are at 35 psi., I think below

29 is too low, but I have not used the chalk method to test them.

Mike Roma> How much lead to you have in the back of the jeep that would warrant

Reply to
twaldron

I can lock the front up easily , servo with no abs. I've only ever locked the rears in a test in the wet mashing the brake pedal. Its not how I would normally brake, but we were discussing here whether it was possible, so I tried it in a car park.

Re the corvette - I admit I must have made a mistake somewhere. It was a couple of years ago that I measured it out for an insurance claim ( the 5 mph - 0 was "Volvo assisted" - he pulled out in front of me. I must have misrememberd the distance) But, I'll stick by my original assertion that TJs stop really well, albeit with the disconcerting "about to fly over the handlebars" nose-dive.

Or Highway Patrol specs:>

http://applicati> >

Reply to
Dave Milne