Tire Sizes

I have a 2001 TJ, with 30; wheel group option, I want to do a 2.5 - 3 inch lift kit.

Which ones are best? What should I look for?

What is the best size wheels to go to 33" ? What is the sizes which will best fit my stock wheels?

Jim

Reply to
James Hilins

With the 30" tire package, you can put an 11.50" wide tire on without any trouble at all. Your rims should be 15 x 8, so the 11.5 tires will fit very nicely, some guys have put 12.50s on them, but I think the 11.50 look better.

The issue you are going to run into with larger tires is the gearing in the axles. Your gears are kinda tall for anything over about 32", and even then you will notice changes in which gear you select for freeway driving. You didn't say which motor and trans you have, but I am going to guess that you have the 4.0L and the manual trans. The irony is that this is probably a good case for getting the automatic ...

After your lift, you will be able to get a 32x11.50 tire on your stock rims. I will leave it to others to give a recommendation of which lift to get.

Reply to
CRWLR

Really? I run a 31x10.5" tire, and still get some rubbing at full flex due to the backspacing on the stock alloy rims that come with the 30" tire/wheel package. Had to adjust the steering stops to reduce the turn radius a tad as well (again to prevent rubbing). It's not the width of the wheel that is the limiting factor, but the fact that the factory alloy rims don't 'stick out' as far as the typical aftermarket. I'd be real hesitant to try 11.5" wide or larger on mine anyway. Bottom line, I'd buy new wheels before trying to fit anything wider than a 10.5" wide tire on the factory wheels that come with the

30" package. Just my opinion, and if anyone *is* running wider on a Canyon or Grizzly wheel, I'd like to hear about how that worked out for them. 3-4" to fit 33's IMO, although Rancho *claims* to have a 2.5" Rockcrawler lift that will clear 33's. Teraflex has a very good reputation IMO.

As for what lift is best, you could argue that one until you are blue in the face.

Dave

David C. Moller

I have the 4.0L engine, and a dana 44 rear, which is I believe slightly shorter than the standard (not much).

BTW: With my 30" wheel group what is the STOCK size tire. How much of a increase am I talking about by going to a say 32X11.5 ?

I don't do much off roading, I did go to camp Jeep and run some of thier intermediate courses and found a few areas a STOCKER just couldn't transverse. 2-3 inches would have been all the difference. and one spot where wider tires would have helped.

We actually did a aggressive climb through ruts and rocks which had the Jeep in front of me tumble (front -over- back) backward. I thought it was going to land up-side down on top of me, but stoped short on its back bumper, front wheels straight in the air...

I was powerless to help, the jeep behind me with lift and larger tires managed to go around us and winch the other jeep back on all fours and we all contuinued..

BTW: the climb was so steep, opening the door to get out was like throwing open a hatch to a submarine and climbing out.

Reply to
James Hilins

A bunch of water came rushing in? ;-)

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

30"x9.5" = Stock size

32" wheels will net you a 1" increase in clearance

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I think I need to retract a little bit.

While 32x11.50s will certainly fit on the stock rims, there might be backspacing issues (as pointed out by Dave) that may result in them rubbing on the undercarriage. You will need to adjust the steering stops, but this is very easy and is hardly a show stopper that would prevent you from putting this large of a tire on that rim.

Reply to
CRWLR

I see what yer saying.... but I still think an 11.5" wide tire isn't going to work on stock alloy wheels. You can correct the steering stops to adjust the turn radius and prevent rubbing. But I think you'd still rub front/rear in full flex, and the only way to correct that would be by limiting articulation. :(

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

I plan on putting a 2.5 inch lift into the vehicle

(exact mfg, I'm open to suggestions)

but I want to keep the stock wheels, so with that in mind, with a 33X11.5 will I need to adjust anything including the steering stops?

Jim

I think I need to retract a little bit.

While 32x11.50s will certainly fit on the stock rims, there might be backspacing issues (as pointed out by Dave) that may result in them rubbing on the undercarriage. You will need to adjust the steering stops, but this is very easy and is hardly a show stopper that would prevent you from putting this large of a tire on that rim.

Reply to
James Hilins

My personal opinion would be no. Not without some wheel spacers to move everything out a bit (forgot to mention that possibility). With

2" of lift and 31x10.5's, I still can still see rub marks on my front upper shock perches after hitting the trail when disconnected. And I've neither seen or heard of anyone running 11.5" wide tires on stock wheels (without wheel spacers). Again, maybe someone who has can jump in here.

Here's an example of the wheel spacers btw:

is, they cost about as much as a new set of wheels. Again, I may be wrong... this is simply my opinion based on what I'd be comfortable with on my rig after running 31x10.5's with 2" of lift, and what I've read about or seen on the trail. And also, you might be fine with the combination you mention if it's for street use and/or forrest roads only.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller
2 1/2 inch lift is not a bad idea. Rancho makes a pretty flexy 2 1/2 incher. You could also do the ZJ spring swap if your budget is tight. Tera has a pretty nice 3". You didn't say if your "stock" wheels are 6", 7", or 8" wide, but I wouldn't put 33s on stock wheels unless they are 33x9.5. The high back spacing will cause a lot of rubbing.
Reply to
TJim

What wheels / lift are you using in the photo shown here?

James Hilins

No..........................

Just mosquitoes !

Reply to
James Hilins

What does the comment "When Disconnected" mean? Jim

Reply to
James Hilins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Jim I'm assuming you mean the TJ. I have a 2" lift and 31x10.5 General Grabber AT tires on the stock 7" wide wheels. I put two 1/2" flat washers under each steering stop because the Grabbers (which I love, by the way) were rubbing on the lower control arms on a tight turn.

Reply to
TJim

Many of us have front anti-sway bar quick disconnects installed. When off road, you can flex a lot more, thus keeping your tires on the ground, if your anti-sway bar (usually called a sway bar) is disconnected. The quick disconnects are also often called "discos" for short.

Reply to
TJim

So is anyone to there using a Skyjacker flex series lift kits for 97-03 wranglers? I'm interested in the 2.5" lift single flex series..

What can you say about them? (Good and Bad)

Jim

Reply to
James Hilins