wheel/tire size

I have a 97 TJ with no lift. It came to me with 31x10.5x15 tires on 15x8 wheels with 3.5" of backspacing. There was no rubbing of the tires with this size. My question to the group is does anyone know if I can use these wheels and a 4" suspension lift and fit 33x12.5x15 tires? Will the 12.5" width be too much for the 8" rim?

Thanks for any help and advice. (still waiting on the lift kit to ship) :) Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Cox

I can't say much about the back space issue, but I run an 8" wheel with

12.5" rubber. Not only will it fit, it will help your tires hold the bead when you air down.

n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
twaldron

I have a similar question.

What are the most narrow tires that will fit a 15 x 10" rim?

I currently have 35x12.5's but I want to go to smaller 30" or 31"

Can I use 10.5 width tires without problems or should I consider 8" rims too?

Also, can someone point to a website that explains all the various tire and wheel terms such as backspacing, offsets, etc.

TIA

Claude

Reply to
claudel

For 30-31" tires, go to an 8" wheel.

claudel wrote: > What are the most narrow tires that will fit a 15 x 10" rim?

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Gracias for the quick replies. Now when is my kit being shipped? :(

Reply to
Dennis Cox

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Great stuff.

Thanks

Claude

Reply to
claudel

Thanks. Those would be smaller than I'm thinking of so I might be able to get by without buying new rims too.

I probably should keep the 35x12.5x15s and 10" rims for if I ever decide to go crawling and get something more tame for driving around town like 31x10.5x15or16 on 8".

Claude

Reply to
claudel