TJ acting up

About to go to the AutoZone and get the fault code read, but I thought I would throw out a feeler for some help. Came back from a business trip yesterday, got in the Jeep to go to the office and the check engine light is on. It' sbeen sitting for about 4 days, no problem when I parked it. I pull out of the driveway and it starts "bucking". Everytime I hit about 2000 rpm it hesitates and feels like it misses. It will pull past it, runs ok at speed, but shifting gears reproduces this. I checked to make sure the gas cap was tight. Tried the ignition switch test (3 times on and off) but no code comes up.

Any thoughts?

Jerry S.

99 TJ 4.0
Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Its mad at you maybe?? Needs more attention??

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Sure, lay a guilt trip on me because I spent a little time with a sexy late model, low mileage rental in another city...

You guys are nutz....lol.

Jerry S.

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

I did the same thing last week in paradise but came home to my best girl....

Reply to
billy ray

A-hem...

We are not all "guys". ;-)

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

If anyone is interested.... ;-)

The magic box said my TPS was bad. Replaced it ($51)...no joy. Same problem persists. Still can't get a fault code from the on-off trick. Guess it goes to the dealer next week. Damn....

Jerry S.

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

I had symptoms very much like that when I got my TJ back from the dealership, when they did some recall work on it. Turns out they really screwed up my computer, and blew 2 injectors. I have no idea how but luckily it was before I did all the lifting n such so it was under warranty. But OH they did try to blame it on me but I was so miff'ed I said that it didn't have a problem until they got their hands on it and that I wouldn't even take it back until its fixed.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

You didn't get ANY codes? You should have, at least, gotten a code that there were no codes...... Perhaps the computer is the problem?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Dyslexia Bill? Or is that 'ol "Sometimers" kicking in and ya can't remember what ya forgot?

LOL...

Jerry S.

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The TPS will give you bucking or drop-out at a particular point in the gas pedal. RPM related problems are timing. Timing is the Crankshaft Position Sensor

and ignition system(rotor or Camshaft Position Sensor/stator).

CPS problems usually result in a no-go after heating up and eventually simply won't start. Coil problems manifest with engine temp. The warmer things are the worse it gets till the coil frags. Rotor problems (like oil in the distributor or cracks) usually give stumbles at certain RPMs. Sticky or slow injectors will also cause problems but then usually above a certain RPM. They certainly can cause a cylinder to run lean at high speed and that can cause knocks. Didn't sound like you had that problem.

Then you are looking at either a harness ground problem or voltage problem. With a digital ohm meter you can check the resistance of the ground side to the block and the voltage provided (5v).

I'd need the wiring diagram to get you closer.

Still, I'm leaning towards a bad coil or plug. That causes all sorts of bucking and will not set any codes.

Other thing, get a mechanics stethoscope (or a bit of rubber tube) and listen to the injectors. Make sure they all are ticking.

Reply to
DougW

Mine doesn't give codes - built June 1998 per build sheet.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Doug, you gave me the best info! Fortunately for me the Jeep appears to have "healed" itself. My plan was to pull the coil this evening and test it. When I got in the Jeep this morning it ran fine, no hesitation , nothing, but the Check Engine Light was still on. When I went home for lunch, no light and it runs fine. I wonder if the computer just needed to re-map after the new TPS was installed.

Jerry S.

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Erm.. yes it does. I forgot about that. :/

Before you drive anymore do this.

Turn the ignition to on, (engine off) Get under the hood and move the throttle plate all the way open and hold it there for a few seconds then slowly cycle it between full closed and full open about four times. Then get in and turn the ignition off. Then start.

Reply to
DougW