nut size

What is the size of the nut that holds the back wheel drum brake in place in a '72 SB? I mean this one in the pic:

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

36mm

The axle nut is torqued to 30 MKG (250 Foot-Lbs). You need a very strong socket/wrench with a 1 meter long extension in order to loosen the nut. Have someone press on the brake pedal.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim wrote in this freaking newsgroup:

Thanks Speedy, again you are true to your nick :)

The funny thing is that the back brakes do not brake very much, so even if somebody is pressing the pedal I can move the wheel with my hands, so no question about a 1m wrench....lol Do you have any ideas? I think I'll try to loosen it with the wheel on (if I can get the socket through), comments?

thanks again Ant

Reply to
Ant

Reply to
Speedy Jim

you definetly want the wheel on, firmly in contact with the ground.

I dealt with that nut within the past week, with my four foot cheater pipe I ended up dealing out anywhere from 300 to 680 (max for my weight with that length bar) pounds of torque. Did some odd twister-style contortion with one foot braced on the nut, me hanging under the cheater pipe, and lifting i my other foot off the ground.

That much action can twist your car right off the stands.

Reply to
Seth Graham

...damn remind me not to get on your bad side.. =-)))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Adjust your brakes or tighten the adjustment stars untill you can's move the wheel. Remember to loosen them back once you finish.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I cured that problem for myself. I have two 6 foot pieces of iron pipe, and on one, I welded a piece of angle iron to it, and drilled holes to match the lug bolts' pattern. I bolt one 6 foot pipe to the wheel /w/ the lug bolts, and then slip the other over my 3/4 drive Craftsman breaker bar /w/ a 36mm impact socket on it, and viola! Nary a 36mm nut in existence that can resist my rather strong influence! :-)

I also have the flywheel clutch pressure plate mounting bolts' pattern drilled in the piece of angle iron, so I can do gland nuts too!

Leverage is a GOOD THING! :-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

Way to go McGwyver!

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I'm kind of a POWER TOOLS guy, pneumatic impact wrenches make this, and the fan nut a breeze.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Pe??????????????????????????????" wrote:

Yeah, if I had a compressor, perhaps I'd go that route, but there is something inherently satisfying about manually leaning on a 6 foot cheater pipe and feeling that nut break free at a lotta foot-pounds of torque, achieved by a x6 multiplier of cheater bar length!! :-)

Man the Toolmaker! Whoh whoh whoh!

Reply to
John Kuthe

Yess, there is some strange pleasure in defeating the rusty nut and feeling how it must follow the laws of physics. These things very often end up turning into personal issues between you and the nut. :D Ant

John Kuthe wrote in this freaking newsgroup:

Pe??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½??½"

Reply to
Ant

It's not nearly as satisfying while leaning on the cheater pipe and either the socket or breaker bar breaks and you go flying.

Been there, done that. Hurt like hell.

Randy

RSMEINER

One time, I broke my two half inch craftsman ratchet drives, and my 18 inch torque wrench. Trying to free a jammed wheel bearing on my F150. The ratchet wrenches were the good old sears ones, but they were replaced. The torque wrench... I used a bailing wire hook to fish out the bearings, and pulled the wheel off that way. When I had cows, I did a lot of driving through water. That will do in the wheel bearings.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Been there done that too! My current setup is the final peoduct I use now, after several different failed setups in the past!

My fave was a 19mm Craftsman box wrench that I had used for years to get lug nuts on and off, often beating on the wrench with a hammer, for which the wrench shank showed many hammer marks. And once, finally, the wrench box broke on me, and I figured I'd try gas welding it back together, and maybe it would work once more for me, but nope, as soon as I welded it and tried it, PING! The weld popped open and apart! So I take the well worn, beaten on, and obviously welded on broken wrench back to Sears for a lifetime unconditional warranty replacement.

And they replaced it, NO QUESTIONS! I love Craftsman tools! :-)

But I'd rather have a tool that does NOT break. Ergo my 3/4 in breaker bar, 3/4 in drive 36mm impact socket, and two 6 foot cheater pipies! Whoh! Whoh! ;-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

I hear DAT!

I take *no* shit from mechanical devices! I used to have an oxyacetylene torch too, and it's amazing how cooperative rusted on nuts get when heated to a cherry red color! :-)

Reply to
John Kuthe