Axle nut sizes

Walter (my 1961 bug) has a normal axle nut on the left side, but what it seems to be a Bus nut on the right side. Are the threads on those bigger nuts the same as the 36mm ones? Those are what, 43mm?

As a side question, what size nut should I buy to get them both changed? FLAPS has no idea and of course, dealer is NLA on those.. :)

Thanks,

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Ask your wife.. ;o)

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Remove them both and compare them side by side, then go get 36mm ones and put them on.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Peña

I am scared I have a combination of a bug and a bus axle.... :) And of course I dont have a large enough socket...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

You don't have to remove the bigger nut to compare them. Just take out the

36mm and hold it against the other one. If you look through the hole and the axle fits perfectly over it, then just get new nuts.

BTW, do you remember my last December post about axle nuts? Don't forget that axle nuts are fun. If you don't have a torquemeister that is.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Peña

of course. I almost titled my post 'Paging Karls' .

(left hand was loose enough to take out with a half foot breaker bar, and no, I am not that strong... :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski