TJ Fuel Consumption 31 inch tires?

Just bought a 1998 TJ with new 31 inch Goodrich tires. I think these larger then normal tires are screwing with the gas mileage and the handling at hwy speeds. Since they are new I think I trade them for original tres. Do you folks think that will make a difference.

Dale Gardnerville, Nevada 45 miles South of Reno in the Beautiful Sierra/Nevada Mtns.

Reply to
Dale Peterson

You didn't really buy a Jeep for fuel economy or highway handling did you? I hope not.

And if the handling is truly bad, the previous owner probably screwed something up on the suspension or alignment. TJs handle pretty good on the highway. Not like a sportscar but not bad either. Going from 31", which is what the Rubicon comes with anyway, to 30" is not going to make much difference at all.

Jerry

Sierra/Nevada

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

What is the stock tire size?

Reply to
SB
31" is stock for Rubicons, 30" is a factory optional and very common stock tire size for TJs, not sure about the smallest tire size available on base-level Jeeps.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I think we have reached a milestone here. Someone actually thinking of going to a *smaller* tire. :)

Seriously though, I run 31's, had 30's stock with the >Just bought a 1998 TJ with new 31 inch Goodrich tires. I think these larger

Reply to
David C. Moller

Smallest size on base TJ's is 215 x 75 x 15.

I would recommend leaving the 31's on, and if you think the handling is bad, then have the wheel alignment checked and have the tires balanced. I have

31's on a stock '02 Tj and the handling is PERFECT.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I recently upgraded from 30" to 31" tires and didn't notice a decrease in handling or gas mileage. Gas mileage on a TJ is horrible anyway (I get around 15) and it doesn't handle like a Porsche, but it shouldn't handle terribly either. I'd say something else is wrong beside the tire size.

Sierra/Nevada

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

actually your larger tire size is screwing with your spedometer and odometer. Nick

Sierra/Nevada

Reply to
Nick N
215 x 75 x 15....metric right....??

I grew up with metric but since the bro's and dad used standard....that's easier for me to use!....

So how does it break down again?

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

So they have metric and standard in their code?

standard....that's

Reply to
SB

I'm averaging about 17mpg on 31s with my 4.0L.

Tirya

Reply to
Tirya

news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Factory spec tires are much smaller - 215 by 15 or something. You did not say if you have a 4 or a 6, auto or std. My 99 6 and auto was quite peppy on factory tire, although it did hydroplane badly and was totaled once because of that. I moved up to 235's and it is a little less 'zippy' at the stop lights but it does work better going through the creek up at the farm. You should find that the turning radius is quit tight.

With the bigger tires you will be higher = more wind, also the odometer may be off a bit. You could be going faster than you think, but there will be a nice police officer that can help you with that.

Reply to
John Welch

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

'bout the same on 30's and 4.10's (I know, makes no sense, will somebody buy me some TIRES )... Starting to hurt at 2 bucks a gallon for gas. I drive my wifes Volvo on the commute when she does not need it... 30 mpg is nice, and it's a fun car to drive.

Always nice to get back into the Jeep though!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired