TJ Winterizing

Hi everyone,

Spent the afternoon getting the '99 TJ Sport ready for winter and had

2 quick questions for the experts. First, when it gets cold out, my steering wheel howls like a lady getting stabbed when I turn it. What could cause this? Is there somewhere I can put some lubricant to fix it? Why only when it's cold/shrunk, and not when it's hot/expanded? Weird. Next and last, one of my KC 130 watt Daylighters won't fire up. I used a circuit tester and it looks like power is still going all the way to it-anyone know of an offroad shop that likes Jeepers in the No. VA/D.C. area that could check it out for me?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

you can spray lithium grease under your dash in the steering column and the noise will go away

Reply to
IsellJeeps

Thanks for the help! I guess I should have been more clear: the steering wheel noise is INSIDE the cockpit, like it's coming right out of the column. Could something be rubbing? It's really loud. I looked under the column behind the rubber gasket and didn't really know what to look for.

Thanks, Matt

> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Matt

There's a plastic bushing, I believe, in there that makes the noise. It's gonna keep making that noise. Brand new TJs have done it. Get used to it or spray the silicone like another person said.

Mine sqeaked like that during the really cold days... once it warmed up I was good to go.

Eric