Torque Converter stall RPM

So I am swapping in a TF727 tranny to my CJ. I have learned from this newsgroup as well as a book I bought that the stock converter from a grand wagoneer is 1700-2000. I know having one too high or too low can cause problems with stalling and engine braking etc. HELP!

I am running a CJ-7 with 4.10 gears, dana 300, 35" tires and the 258. Anyone care to recommend keeping the stock converter or buying a different one?

I rarely drive this on the street, but I occasionally will drive it up to 3 hours on the highway (to Moab). Otherwise I do moderate/difficult trails for the most part. Steep slickrock, large rocks etc...

Only wanna install it once.... (measure twice cut once theory)

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

One thing to remember Kevin, if the engine you are bolting the converter up to has a different torque band than the original, then the stall speed will change somewhat. For instance, a converter that stalls at 2500 RPM behind a

350 Chevy will stall at somewhere around 3000 behind a 454 Chevy. The stall speed of a converter is tested in many different ways, and in fact the brakes, gear ratio, tire size and weight of the vehicle can have an effect on it. If your engine is stock or close to it, you should be fine, but adding camshafts and stuff like that, if they reduce the engine torque at or near the stall speed of the converter, will lower the effective stall speed.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

I am running the stock 258. Sounds good, I'll just try to stock one I guess.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle