totally jeepless till unlimited rubi

as many of you know i sold my rubicon last week to get ready to purchase an unlimited rubi (when theyre available) instead of loosing my shirt on trade. as our plans changed around we decided that the wifey would get the unlimited rubi instead so that way we could both get the best of both worlds. we went ahead and traded her XJ today on an '04 cummins 3500 crew cab 4x4.

course this means she'll drive my dodge until theunlimited rubi is available but thats ok so long as she lets me drive her rubitoo. :-)

i was TERRIBLY disappointed in what the XJ brought in trade. by the time the unlimited rubi is released the xj will be beyond its extended warranty (which we have used and used and used) and we felt it would be better to trade it on a more expensive vehicle hoping to get more for it. however, since i bought the cummins using a friends and family discount, they couldnt shuffle the numbers and i got to see what they were really giving me for the XJ. not pretty, but considering the multiple problems and major repairs we've had done under warranty i was a bit afraid of what it would end up costing us after the warranty expired so it was ultimately worth it to me to make the trade anyway.

so anyways, now i have a lot to learn about both the powerstroke and the cummins since buying one of each about a week apart. ill probably be scarce (at least until theres an unlimited rubi in my yard) while working overtime to try and pay these two beasts off. :-)

......still a jeeper at heart!

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

my apologies, bad link.

MontanaJeeper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

oooohhh....she's perty!!

Didn't you just buy that ford in the meantime?

Reply to
SB

Reply to
twaldron

i did, and ill still drive it as my daily until the wifey gets her unlimited rubi. since we traded her XJ (er, gave it away) she will be driving the cummins until she gets her jeep. after that i can convert the ford into a full time work horse.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

absolutely! still a jeeper, just waiting on a jeep.

ill look into that and email you.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

reset my password also please !

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

absolutely, and its a strong puller as well. i know you dont care much for diesels, but according to

a properly running diesel hasless emmissions than a comparable gasoline engine.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry McG

I'm curious, how much did you get for the XJ? We're kicking ourselves for not just buying smaller tires instead of putting that lift on last year. Shelled out almost $2000 in repairs since. Still having problems with my wife's XJ. Not to mention I think we over-paid for it!

Eric

99 TJ SE 00 XJ LTD
Reply to
Eric

certainly, makes all the difference in the world. my powerstroke was ok stock, but chipping it turned it into a real beast. it amazes me to see these huge trucks cranking out so much power with such little modification. take a look at this f350 diesel crew cab running the quarter mile in 11.42@118mph

cummins is pushing 600ft. lbs stock, the powerstroke is around 800 with thechip and im getting ready to swap out the turbo and retrofit a '99 intercooler. looked at a chip today that takes the cummins to 950ft. lbs with nothing morethan the chip. i doubt i do that though, i just dont have any need for thatkind of power and question how long the rest of the drivetrain would stand upto it.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

i feel your pain. i feel bad about what i took for the XJ, but getting the cummins for almost $12,000 below sticker (employee discount based on greensheet price) made it much easier to swallow.

i suppose.....if 560ft. lbs is enough for you. ;-)

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

....id be ashamed to admit to it publicly. ;-) i wouldnt have done it were it not for the long list of problems we had with it over the last couple of years. we couldnt keep a pinion seal in it (either end) for some reason and stopped trying. the transfer case was replaced (complete swap), the torque converter was replaced, reverse went out, electrical system crashed, and a long list of other pesky troubles. i rarely hear of xj troubles but we got the lemon. the wifey was fond of her xj and tried to hang on to it but now that im the one with the "practical vehicle" (room for all the kids) shes looking forward to being a bit impractical with a tj/ur. you got mail.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

ill explain. my cummins is only 5.9 liters, yet cranks out 600ft. lbs stock. a simple chip upgrade takes it to 950ft. lbs and thats without ever turning a single wrench. add propane injection and open the exhaust and you get what you saw in that video....an 8000 pound vehicle that will run the quarter in 11.42 @

118mph and still get 19mph as a daily driver. id like to see a gasoline powered truck do the same and still idle below 2000 rpm (or get better than 6mpg).
Reply to
MontanaJeeper

Is that a true chip or one of those little stubbed resistor setups? Have heard that most of these things just short a resistor across a couple pins that basically fakes the computers emissions out and forces more fuel...hence the more power!

Reply to
SB

its a chip that comes with a programmer. you can select to leave it at 600 ft. pounds or tune it on the fly up to 950 in increments of 10 i think it is.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper