Trailer Specs Needed

Ok, so now I've gone & done it, I bought a Ford SuperDuty 6.0L turbo diesel pickup to pull my Jeep on a trailer. Now, it's necessary to get the bleedin' trailer. Can anyone offer up some specs I should be looking for?

I assume I'll need 5000 lb capacity, at least 16' length, double axles, brakes on one axle, etc. Should I get a wood or metal floor etc? Any info is appreciated.

Oh, we took the Super Duty wheelin' last Saturday and it did remarkably well. My appologoes to any of the Jeepers who had to get around us, been there!

Reply to
Jerry McG

16' is good. Some guys I know use 18' but that seems long to me (but they also use their car haulers for longer vehicles). Definitely 2 axles, brakes on both axles is best. Wood or metal floor is personal preference, most guys in SoCal use wood. You might think about upgrading the axle/spring/tire capacity over 5,000 lbs. A fully loaded trail CJ can easily tip the scales at 4,500 lbs. That doesn't leave any capacity for the trailer weight, fire wood, other gear. Most guys I know have 7,500 lb capacity.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills
2x 3500lb axles will work fine, but 2x 5000lb axles is always better if you can do it. Also brakes on a second axle is not an expensive upgrade, may as well let all of them stop you. 16' is common, if you want to put a 4 wheeler or motorcycle on there you may look at an 18'.
Reply to
Rusted

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet that I read about on another group (south Bend lathes) is vehicle weight, trailer weight, and so forth as it has to do with weight stations and lcense requirements. Some people have gotten bad supprises!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I agree with Bill, if you get a trailer with a 7000# GVW you should be OK.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

With the chains crossed under the tongue. In Michigan, anything over 10,000# requires a commercial license, AFAIK.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Yeah, but if I had a shiny new Ford 6.0 turbodiesel instead of my '87 Ford 6.9 diesel, I would be seriously thinking about a 16' car hauler trailer. Sometimes it can be really "exciting" flat towing on a down grade with the extra 4,200# of unbraked weight. :o

Although my normally aspirated IH motor could pull the extra weight of the trailer all day, it wouldn't do it very fast, so I am saving my "spare" change for a Hypermax turbo before I start thinking about a trailer.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks, Robert. 7,500 lbs appears to be the ticket. Found a few places around here that have 'em in stock.

Reply to
Jerry McG

(south Bend lathes) is vehicle weight, trailer weight, and so forth as it has to do with weight stations and lcense requirements. Some people have gotten bad supprises!>

Thanks for the tip. With the F350, Jeep & trailers I'm fairly sure we'll be right around 12,000 llbs.

Reply to
Jerry McG