Guess what I've gone and bought??!!

An Omega Elite Estate, 2.5TD (BMW donk) Auto. 260k on the clock, been used for private hire (you, stop laughing at the back).

Runs well, been serviced every 3k according to the bloke selling it, but no service records, mainly for the fact that he wasn't too bothered with taking them as he only took it in part ex on a more expensive car. He was happy enough for me to get in touch with the former owner to ask any questions or get any service history, but I bought it on trust, with the intention of getting in touch later for the history.

Well it runs well, autobox seems to work well, a fair bit of power there, though it does kick down a bit too easily for me - I'd rather it took more advantage of the torque in higher gears, but that might be related to the next problem.

Basically the timing chain is quite rattly (though if you listen past the chain rattle the engine is a real good runner), and the economy is crap. I've barely driven the thing, but a mate of mine's been looking after it for me and he's driven it to work a few times. On general around town driving it'll do 24mpg, on a gentle motorway run at 60mph it only managed 36mpg. Not good. A bloke at his work drove it and reckoned it was either a knackered diesel pump, or the timing on the diesel pump could be slightly out due to the slack in the chain. I'm hoping it's this, as I was worried about the diesel pump (is this the same thing as the injector pump) as I've heard these are a known issue on these, but even if it means getting a re-con one fitted it'll still be worth doing as I got the car at a pretty good price.

Only other issue is that the brake light switch is sticking - my mate took it out and gave it the WD40 treatment, and it cured it for a bit, but now it's sticking again (no brake lights) so off to the scrappy for one of them. Other than that, all the electrics work perfectly, and I'm in love with the electric seats, and the sheer amount of different ways to tilt, raise, lower and move forwards and backwards that's possible! Air con and climate seem to all work fine, as does the cruise control, and the leather interior is absolutely immaculate - in fact the exterior is pretty bloody good, and looking inside and out you could quite believe that it had only covered 60k, not 260!

So, back to the issue of the chain - I popped into Vauxhall today to get a price on the parts - they tell me it's got two chains, and the total price of both chains, plus the tensioner gear, is £125 (retail, incl. VAT). I've got a mate who's got a trade club account, so I reckon I could get this down to about £90 or so.

So does the theory that the slackness of the chain could be causing the diesel pump to be slightly out of time sound familiar, or make sense, to anyone? If not, could anyone recommend a reputable place that sells (and/or fits) re-con units, and how much would I be looking at?

And could someone recommend a decent mechanic with experience of these engines who'd replace the chain at a reasonable rate? Maybe a BMW mechanic who wouldn't mind working on a sheddy old N reg Vauxhall :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

So you finally did it Peter? No Audi A6 then? I do so hope you got it well cheap. Friend has had a 525TDS (virtually the same lump) with 188k on it for about a year now. Picked it up from the Westbury Auction for £760. Some history but not recent. Similar symptoms as yours on the economy. Get used to it. Best I've seen on that engine is 38mpg on a gentle run. Injection pump is fairly common fault. Budget £1500 for a new one. Timing chains themselves are not too dear but fitting them correctly is a

*sodding* expensive job. Get onto some of the BMW forums to find an independant mechanic with experience of these (also be prepared to drop your pants when you open your wallet). Lovely engine though. Speak to Dave or Jason at
for the engine parts (or even a complete engine?). cheers, JB

PS: I am no longer a dole mole! PPS: e34 is now up to 316890miles anf just breezed the MOT.

Reply to
JB

LOL

Not quite as cheap as that, but still what I'd consider a bloody good price. No A6 yet - I'm holding out for an absolutely mint one with everything I'm after (climate, cruise etc). Surprisingly difficult. I'm possibly considering getting one without aircon and getting cruise retrofitted (someone on here mentioned a company near Slough that fits the genuine Audi systems for not too much) - I did really like the way it drove, including the way the accelerator pedal is hinged at the bottom (same as an E34 if I'm not mistaken). And the economy of those things is superb.

What do you call a gentle run though - I mean this was at 60mph, might have even been at 50!!! And surely it's got to be better than 23-24mpg around town!!!??? Also, this bloke at my mate's work reckoned it was down on power a bit, so maybe the timing on the pump is out a bit. At least that's what I'm hoping! I'm guessing one chain is to keep the top and bottom of the engine in time with each other, and the other is for the timing of the pump - is it possible that the pump chain could have slipped a cog, causing this problem? Also, I take it the injection pump is the same thing as the diesel pump??

I remember you mentioning that evil looking 4-figure number before! Does anyone recondition them?

Nice one. Is the commute anywhere near as long?

Good stuff. Be good if it got up to a million miles!!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Erm, my 24v Senator would average 30mpg on a 90mph mixture of A roads...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

My petrol 2.5 V6 Omega will do around 24 - 28 around town and at 60 mph it will easily do 40+ mpg. Time to strip it down Pete ;-0

You probably will by the weekend mate LOL

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Funkyman waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

My 24v Carlton Auto did 22-36 mpg in average use. or 16 mpg @ cruise controlled 150 [1]

[1] only indicated by the daft digital speedo thing, but it was shifting a bit.
Reply to
Pete M

At 140 (on the speedo)mine will do about 22 mpg on a flat road. Well I had to try it didn't I.

But my usual cruising speed is around 85mph which will give around 36mpg @

3000rpm without cruise on. With cruise on the majority of the trip I am looking at about 38mpg.

My old Carlton 2.6 was definitely faster, but was less economical.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

the chains work out at 10.1 hours to change, plus the chains, head gasket, head bolts etc etc plus any more remedial work the head may need which mihgt need doing on inspection pretty big expensive job oh and the pump timing needs to be set on a computer if you want it spot on, they will run ok set uop manually but tend to suffer bad hot starting among a few other things if they aren't perfectly timed

Reply to
C H

Similar with my 2.5 v6, when I was doing 15 miles each way to work it was returning 28 but now with 2.5 mile trips to the local Co-Op it's only doing 20 but it's not long enough for it to get hot. Reseting the average mpg and cruise at 60 for an hour returns 44mpg.

Unfortunately you've got an old and not particularly economical engine but I look forward to your postings about it Peter :-)

Reply to
rp

I've known a couple of people with the 2.5TD; and your 'economy' figures sound about the same as theirs; i.e. slightly worse than a 2.5 V6 petrol.

Reply to
airsmoothed